Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donsol_gw

Red gnome dogwoods as replacements?

DonSol
12 years ago

In May of this year (2011) a rhododendron PJM was planted to the left/back of our L-shaped concrete porch (which faces west), a fothergilla gardenii was planted in front of the porch (in the "crook" of the "L") and a variegated "Ivory Halo" to the right of the porch. The "Ivory Halo" is surrounded by 3 "Shining Sensation" weigelas (burgundy-green coloring") and quite frankly, the green/white coloring just doesn't work with the weigelas. My idea is to yank out the rhododendron (because for 11 months of the year it seems to be pretty boring) and the dogwood and replace them with a pair of "Red Gnome" dogwoods to flank each side of the porch and to remove the fothergilla and replace it with a "Rose Glow" Japanese barberry. The fothergilla is a great shrub but I'm trying to reinforce a burgundy color scheme and the barberry would seem to be a good choice to do so. I don't have a picture availabe but essentially it would be one red gnome dogwood facing north/northwest, one barberry facing north/west, and a second red gnome dogwood facing south/southwest. Any advice would be well appreciated. One additional question is whether or not the nurseries located around Chicago would even have Red Gnome dogwoods available at this time of the year or if I would have to wait until next spring? Allow me to thank one and all for any advice offered.

Comments (2)

• DonSol
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Here are some horrifyingly bad photos that I took. I spent hours trying to re-size them but as you can see, those hours were wasted as I didn't succeed. The photographer is apparently a bit of a jackass based on the quality of the photos but I couldn't get anyone other than myself to take them so I'll just have to learn to live with it. If you learn nothing else from this post allow me to advise you that trying to take photos in bright sunlight in like trying to teach a pig to dance - it annoys the pig and it just wastes your time..

{{gwi:267197}}

It's difficult to tell but left to right -
    Variegated red twig dogwood in back
    3 "Shining Sensation" weigela in front of dogwood
    Large container with sambucus nigra "Eva" behind it
    "Sea Green" Juniper next to container
    Ilex "Sky Pencil" on far right
    "Royal Raindrops" crab apple on right in front
    Variety of heucherax and carex around the base.

{{gwi:267199}}

Another terrible view of an even worse photograph (photographer is an idiot! - I would never use him again)

{{gwi:267200}}

Juniper/crab apple/ilex sky pencil

{{gwi:267201}}

In theory, this one is supposed to show everyone that the crab apple has been planted 5 feet from the front of the house (it will eventually have a width of 15 feet and so by literally doing the math I have concluded that the tree will eventually push its' way into my living room). Also, you can see that the juniper has been planted about 18 inches from the front of the house. Right away you can probably see (in theory based on the poor photography) that both the crab apple and the juniper will either have to be moved (crab apple) or removed (juniper). The ilex "Sky Pencil" seems pretty happy being where it's at but I can move it to make room for whatever will replace the juniper.

This is the left side of the house -

{{gwi:267202}}

There's a rhodendron PJM in the north corner of the porch that is desperately trying to move itself into the sunlight by growing AWAY from the porch. It was supposed to cover the gas meter and a concrete seam in the porch but apparently the rhodie didn't get the memo because it continues to stretch itself away from the porch in an effort to receive more sunlight. Next to the rhodie (in front and to the right is a fothergilla gardenii which I can live or live without as it doesn't look nearly as great as I thought it would but I should probably give it more than 5 weeks to wow me, eh?

I would probably like to rip out the rhododendron and replace it with a "Red Gnome" dogood, rip out the fothergilla and replace it with a "Rose Glow" barberry, rip out the variegated "Ivory Halo" dogwood (on the right of the porch) and replace it with a second "Red Gnome" dogwood (for balance and quite frankly I hate the mint green and greenish cream of the "Ivory Halo" which looks like hell next to the great green/burgundy coloring of the "Shining Sensation" weigelas), rip out the sambucus nigra "Eva" because I'm not entirely sure as to what I'm supposed to do with it and it just seems a wee bit goofy and/or just plain creepy, rip out the juniper because it's going to be humongous and replace it with a set of 2 or 3 boxwoods, and move the crab apple three feet further out - this should give me room to either add the three boxwoods or perhaps add three more weigelas that would complement the "Shining Sensations".

Please don't ask or allow me to post any more photographs. Some people just should not be allowed anywhere near a camera and I'm one of them. These photographs appear to be taken by someone who had one too many beers on a really hot day but I swear I didn't have anything other than a gallon and a half of watery over-sugared ice tea. Perhaps next time I'll try getting all beered up and then try taking the photos.

Please accept my apologies for the ridiculous photos and please accept my thanks if you have anything to offer (other than verbal abuse and miscellaneous insults that is...)

• DonSol
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Here's the first missing photo -

{{gwi:267203}}

and here's the second missing photo -

{{gwi:267204}}