Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cotoneaster ID? Now w/Photos

Posted by leafy02 6 Central Kentucky (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 15, 10 at 9:30

Ken pointed out photos would help. These two cotoneasters came from different shops but both were labeled Tom Thumb.

I'm wondering if the tall spiky ones are mislabeled and are really something else, or whether the difference in appearance is due to pruning and I could somehow prune them into being more dense and less spiky?

Rounder, denser plant:

Photobucket

Spiky:

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cotoneaster ID? Now w/Photos

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 15, 10 at 12:10

Bottom one too far away to tell what it might be.

o

• Posted by hortster 6A, southcentral KS (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 15, 10 at 15:21

Top might be a young C. divaricatus, leaf looks right anyway. Close up of the foliage and stem and any fruit would help...
hortster

o

• Posted by leafy02 6 Central Kentucky (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 16, 10 at 9:04

Hortster, thank you. I think you are right. My kids keep draining my camera batteries dry, so I can't get a closeup right now, but I'm going to try to figure out a spot to use them in where I don't need them to be Tom Thumb.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here