Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Carpenter ants killing spirea (really)

Posted by tom_mn z4b_MN (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 13, 10 at 9:35

I have 40 years of gardening experience, but I have never had this problem before. In fact, I have postponed dealing with it (try to be organic) because I couldn't believe that ants were really killing my 4 spirea over 5+ year period.

It started with rabbits. In the winter, rabbits chewed my spirea to the ground and then kept at the green shoots all summer. This stressed out the westernmost 45 year old spirea and part of its roots died. Carpenter ants then set up shop in the dead roots and a huge colony formed. Then the ants moved on the next spirea, and decimated that one. Today there are just a few sprigs of growth on these two spirea.

Now the third spirea is swarming with ants and I finally put it all together: the ants were killing the shrubs. The chemicals are now in action and the ants are dying. Looking back I can't believe I didn't put together what was happening.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Carpenter ants killing spirea (really)

i find it hard to believe also .... but with mother nature.. nothing is really unbelievable ...

i think i heard once .. that large ant colonies actually generate incredible heat ... or was that african termites ...

anyway.. heat in the root zone can hurt any plant.. when you think about it ...

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here