Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairie_love

Double flowering plum

prairie_love
12 years ago

I have three double flowering plum shrubs. Two have been in place since before we bought the property (9 years ago), the third was put in about 6 years ago. I don't know the cultivar name but all are what are generally referred to as "double flowering plum". I assumed that meant that they are purely ornamental. However, this year the younger one has fruit on it! I have never seen this before. Is it edible?

Thanks!

Comments (11)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

i had a very old one.. inherited with my first house .. no fruit for 10 years ...

then one year it went nuts .... or plums i should say ...

then died that winter..

go figure on that ...

i dont put things in my mouth ... unless its a known eating plant ... on the other hand.. there's a good bet it wont be tasty.. lol ... but it is still a plum.. though i would google it to find out ...

ken

• prairie_love
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well I hope the fact that yours had plums then died is merely coincidental and doesn't forebode disaster for mine! Yeah, I'm guessing that it will not be tasty either, but thought I'd see if anyone knew.

Googling so far has led me to the rather unhelpful "plums come in two varieties - the fruit-producing and the ornamental" with so far no hits on reputable sites describing the fruit from an ornamental variety. I'm going to ask my extension agent.

12 years ago

find the full latin name.. and research from there.. using common names is only going to get you common info .. lol ...

i did not mean to imply that yours would die because mine did ... i was just saying i have known the ornamentals to produce plums ...

now that i think of it though .. mine was the purple leaf plum tree ..... i think it also had.. bad scale and black knot.. i guess i always presumed.. at that age ... it was just weakening [think grandpa] .. and something just put it over the top ... and in a last gasp to continue the gene pool.. its inherent genetic need to reproduce.. led it to fruit.. or produce seed ... who knows if it was viable ...

this was back in the olden days.. when we couldnt sit in front of a computer and research our brains out.. and talk to garden friends ... way back in the mid 90's.. lol .. God i sound like an old geezer with that one.. lol ..

i will give you a head start.. check the link.. copy and past the full latin name from the first pdf .. up top.. and then see if you can get some better sourcing on info ... might not hurt to flip to the images pages.. and make sure its the right plant .... and then even add to the latin 'producing fruit' ... report back what you find..

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

The prevalent one is 'Blireiana'. This is usually grown as a tree, but like other small trees may grow as a large bush if not experiencing circumstances resulting in an elevated crown on a single stem.

Seattle also has multiple older examples of lighter pink 'Moseri' but this has not been seen on the market here for many years.

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

Prunus nigra 'Princess Kay'. Double white flowers, on a tree shape the few times I have seen it here.

Normally the double-flowered bush form stone fruits people have are types referred to as flowering almonds.

12 years ago

so my almond wont have plums either.. nor almonds.. lol

i thought the flowers looked familiar ...

so what is it.. a plum or an almond????

oh wait.. i know the answer ... its a prunus ...

ahhhh the conundrum of common names ...

ken

• prairie_love
    Original Author
    12 years ago

No, it is not an almond and it is not white.

{{gwi:267629}}

Haven't had time to call the extension agent or do any searches - I will report back when I do.

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

Looks like Prunus glandulosa 'Sinensis', a double form of a shrub that has been known as dwarf flowering cherry and flowering almond.

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

Prunus triloba 'Multiplex' then it is still one of at least three species of shrubs that have been known as flowering almonds, the other being P. japonica. P. triloba actually belongs to the same group as the almonds and peaches, the other two are related to various kinds of cherry trees and bush cherries.

• prairie_love
    Original Author
    12 years ago

All right, so now I am totally confused. I thought you said a flowering almond would have white flowers... ??

So flowering plums, almonds, peaches, cherries ... all ornamentals rather than edibles?

I wonder if I still have the tag somewhere (although it might not give species and cultivar).

• Konrad___far_north
    11 years ago

These are related to almonds, I had some almond nuts on it.