Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mcb625

diablo ninebark

MCB625
18 years ago

I have 4 of these planted by a reputable landscaper,but gave no directions on maintenance and care. Do I prune them,seems theres lots of tall branches,then short. Any help and info on these will be helpful.

Comments (32)

• JustTrees
    18 years ago

The look best left to their own devices. Once grown up, they form a large fountain type shape with the stems growing straight up and then arching over.

Care is minimal. Provide a little water the first year and that is it. These are tough, trouble free plants.

• karinl
    18 years ago

I'll say they're tough. I planted mine where it gets in my way if it overgrows, and I chop it back as necessary, any time. My husband chopped it drastically one year to paint the house against which it is planted. It takes all this abuse without complaint, and looks great every year, all year.

• anicee
    18 years ago

I love them, I have 3 diablo ninebark and 2 golden ones. here's a picture of one of the diablo I have:

{{gwi:267733}}

• jasper_60103
    18 years ago

Hi Anicee. I like your Ninebark.
    I just planted one last summer.
    I was wondering how tall is yours?
    Also, how old is it?

Jasper

• cfmuehling
    18 years ago

Hey -
    have you seen the new variety, 'Coppertina?' They were only released to a few nurseries in the midwest this year, with full release in 2006. I tracked one down.

It's a cross between the 'Diablo' (which I also, absolutely love) and the gold one. The name of the latter variety escapes me. Anyway, its new growth is definately copper, and its full season color is supposed to be a metalic red. I tracked one down and received it in the mail.

Like the 'Diablo,' if it doesn't get enough sun, it greens. I just got it planted so we'll see what it does in our 98+ heat this week!

I love these shrubs. For some reason their color and leaf shape really speak to me, too.

Christine

• karmann
    18 years ago

"It's a cross between the 'Diablo' (which I also, absolutely love) and the gold one. The name of the latter variety escapes me."

Christina,

You're referring to 'Dart's Gold', right?

Can you tell me where you got your 'Coppertina'?

• anicee
    18 years ago

Jasper:

The fence is 6' high so as you can see the shrub is doing quite well. I planted it in the Fall of 2002.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    18 years ago

You can control the size of Diablo by cutting back to the ground some of the oldest stems every year or so. This will hold down the size without giving it a marine recruit haircut.

• chescobob
    18 years ago

I bought a 'Coppertina' yesterday in SE Lancaster County, PA. I was surprised I found it.

• molloy01
    18 years ago

I had 3 planted by a landscaper at the end of May. One is doing very well, one seems somewhat sparse, and one very sparse. Do these guys bounce back well. Have tried to keep wet during drought.

• jasper_60103
    18 years ago

I here diablo ninebark has been used as hedge or screen and other places in the yard, but I was wondering has anyone used it on the corner of their house? You know, where you would normally expect a small ornamental tree or large shrub?
    I planted one diablo ninebark on the corner of my house, but now I'm thinking a taller shrub/tree would probably look better. I have a 2 story house that kinda dwarfs the ninebark. I think its currently about 5 feet tall. Now I'm torn now because it has done so well and its very attractive. Also, the other choices that would work in that spot aren't as attractive to me.
    I admit it's not as tall as I would desire, but do you think just adding a couple more to form a grouping would help?
    Appreciate your opinions. thanks,

jasper

• jasper_60103
    18 years ago

I thought some pics would help.

Do you think I need a more vertical shrub or small tree on corner?
    The spot is kinda small. The radius of the wall is 9 feet from house.
    Maybe its fine the way it is?

-jasper

{{gwi:267734}}

{{gwi:267735}}

• cheryloz4
    18 years ago

If I could join in with a question please. Do any of you know if Diablo Nine Bark is a favorite of deer? Thank you!

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    18 years ago

Cheryloz4, it's not a favorite of deer at all. Having said that, let me add that if deer have the run of a property, they often develop a taste for shrubs they generally have little interest in. They're in the restaurant, they're going to try everything in the smorgasbord and they just might like something unexpected. This is what happens when people report that deer ate their smokebush or something equally unlikely. However, I'd say ninebarks are low on the list of deer interest.

• Debbie Downer
    18 years ago

How are the flowers on these, are they fragrant?

• ego45
    18 years ago

I don't recall any noticeable scent from Diabolo, but mid June bloom is quite attractive:
    {{gwi:267736}}

though this plant is not about flowers, it's all about foliage and shape:
    {{gwi:267738}}

Worth to notice the rate of growth, in a first picture (mid-June) it is about 4-5 feet tall, by mid-August (second picture) it's already in a 8' range.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    18 years ago

And what nobody seems to mention is that the buds are gorgeous. They look like raspberries.

• ego45
    18 years ago

You are right.
    Flower buds in mid-June:
    {{gwi:267740}}

• cheryloz4
    18 years ago

Thanks laceyvail, sounds like something I want to add to my spring shopping cart.

• jasper_60103
    17 years ago

FYI. I decided not to remove the Ninebark mentioned in my previous post. It looks great where it is!

Now, I'm thinking about adding a few more to my yard in a shadey location.

I hear they do well in shade, but do they keep their dark maroon color?

thanks,
    jasper

• trish_ns_z5
    17 years ago

Jasper

I have mine planted in almost full shade (although bright shade). it is growing beautifully after 2 years (about 4 'tall) but the colour is less purple than you'd get in more sun. It's really a mix of wine and dark green. Very pretty. Also, it hasn't bloomed for me, which I expect is becuase it's in shade (I thought it was a part sun location, but perceptions can be wrong! It wasn't until I mapped the shade that I realized). But it looks beautiful and now really "pops" against the limelight hydrangea I planted beside it.

• jasper_60103
    17 years ago

Trish,
    my shade is fairly bright as well. Good to hear you still get some good color foilage. Thats what I like most about this shrub.
    thanks.
    -jasper

• tiki4
    16 years ago

I just planted 2 "Coppertinas". They were beautiful. We have several gardening centers that have them in Illinois. Unfortunately, mine has a white powdery mildew on them that I am trying to control with milk mixture. If anyone has any suggestions, sure would welcome them. New to this forum.

• jasper60103
    16 years ago

my baby in full bloom...

{{gwi:267742}}

• mimis_garden
    16 years ago

I was told at the garden center that I should prune the ninebark right after the blooming has stopped. Is this correct information? Also how much do you prune?

• jasper60103
    16 years ago

I really can't say. I had my ninebark for 3 years. I may have removed a few branches, but I don't know if its necessary.

• cfmuehling
    16 years ago

I'm still loving my 'Coppertina'. It glows like a copper penny with its new foliage. This year, it's 3rd year, it has dark red flowers for the first time. These are excellent full-sun shrubs and I love it!

However, my 'Diablo' in its 3rd year, has greened. It now looks like a stupid heuchera 'Palace Purple' when it gets bronze in the heat. It's actually a bad green. I'm concerned about this, because it's been in the same place all this time: a corner of the house in full sun.

I never prune either of these. I love the tall, vase-shape of my 'Diablo' and the rather sprawling 'Coppertina'. Jasper, your 'Diablo' is a lot more round than mine. Nice, though. Good job!

Gotta get that 'Dart's Gold'!

Christine

• rosepeace2u
    15 years ago

I just bought a Diablo Ninebark. Didn't know what I was getting only that it is supposed to grow well with little effort and a pretty color. SO I was planning on putting in back in a corner of the property where I am trying to get a lovely secret garden going. After seeing those pictures, I wish I had bought two of them. May still find another and get it today. Plan to check. So I can put one back there AND one in front where I will see it all the time, not just when I go to the secret garden! I want it all!

Thanks so much for all the information! You guys are awesome!

Carey
    Rosepeace2u

• prairiegirlz5
    15 years ago

I have Summerwine on either side of my front steps, it is more compact than Diablo, but has same flowers, the foliage stays dark in full sun. I paired them with Goldflame spirea and pink KO roses.

• JABEZ1212_YAHOO_COM
    13 years ago

We planted a hedge of 'Coppertina' 2 years ago. Last year, the growth was off the charts: the shrubs tripled in size, to 9'! If we don't prune, what may we expect this coming season?

• oldhouserichard
    12 years ago

The 3 'diablo' we planted about 5 years ago are now nearing 12' in height and width. They get some morning shade but full sun noon til set, and doing so well I need to move two to ease crowding. As yet have done no pruning.

• MollyDog
    12 years ago

Oldhouserichard, I love when posters come back on to let us know how things turn out...thank you.