Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can cotinus volunteer be transplanted?

Posted by boldcolors Zone 5 Ut (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 29, 11 at 11:24

I've looked high and low to an answer to this question. I've got a purple cotinus in zone 5, about 6,000 ft. It has a volunteer growing nicely (about 24" to 30" tall) about 18" to 22" away from the main plant that was planted about 5 years ago. Can I transplant this lovely plant to another part of my yard? Anyone had any success with something like this?

Thank you for time,
Boldcolors

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can cotinus volunteer be transplanted?

TIMING is the issue ....

dont do it in august.. for sure ....

if it were me.. i would take a small hand trowel ... and dig in there like an archeologist .... i doubt its a volunteer ... rather than a rootsucker ... so lets find out if it has any of its own roots ....

if it does .. then in fall .. after it loses its leaves .. i would dig it up .. and move it .. and probably cut it down about half way ... IF it has a small root mass of its own ...

if it has no roots.. let us know.. and maybe we can come up with other options ... like partially cutting the root attaching it to mom.. so that roots will develop next year .. and we can move it next fall ... on maybe next spring ...

just be sure.. its nothing to do in august .... august is for planning what you do at other times of the year ...

ken

o

Ken,

Thank you so much. Makes perfect sense! I was looking to the future (and a new bed I've doctored up and letting set a season). Your detailed thoughts are just what I needed to really get my mind straight on the whole matter. Get back to you after I go hunting for roots (Got company here now ....so that might be several weeks here in the future).

Boldcolors

o

Boldcolors,

Check out the link below for more info that you may find helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Planting a Tree or Shrub

o

Ken, My company is gone. I dug like a archeologist and here's what I discovered. A branch of my Cotinus was now laying under dirt ....so it looked like it was a new plant further away from the mother plant. I followed that branch, then pulled lightly. The branch didn't go all the way back to the mother plant but stopped short....about 5 inches away. I guess this branch did some of its own ground layering...as there are roots (pretty nice ones) where the branch meets the ground.
With all the things I've discovered...would your advise still be the same as you posted above?

Thanks so much for your time and advice,
Boldcolors

PS Thank you Brandon7 for the great link

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here