Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Prunning of very tall burning bushes

Posted by dorothy9 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 6, 10 at 11:29

I have never posted here before but live in a town house in NW Arkansas and this morning the grounds crew came in and, without asking our permission, proceeded to "butcher" the burning bushes that conceal our 10-12 foot foundation. The reason being they were too tall for them to prune. Their method of prunning is to make anything into a ball! They have whacked them down to about 4 feet and my question is how long will it take these poor things to recover? Our unit connects to one neighbor who told them not to "trim" his back so you can imagaine what a mess we have. Anyone have ideas about this except to do in the grounds crew?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Prunning of very tall burning bushes

They will recover just fine - they can take a severe pruning. You might want to tidy up their work so that the end result looks better. They may well put out new shoots in response to the pruning, and hopefully those will have time to harden off before your first freeze.

If that new growth gets killed in the winter freeze, just trim it off come spring. At any rate, these should look good enough come spring 2011.

o
RE: Prunning of very tall burning bushes

dad had one that was going on 15 feet.. blocking his driveway.. and cut it 3 inches from the ground.. and without insult to the root system.. within a few years.. it was back to 6 feet .. and ready to be beat back with a stick again ...

i call these type of plants ... 'run them over with the truck' type .... being you can run them over.. and they will be back with a vengeance soon enough ...

as noted above.. if you think it needs some help go back at it ...

a picture would sure help with future suggestions ...

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here