Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cherry laurel too big! transplant help!

Posted by ZiggyZig none (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 15, 14 at 11:40

Hi everyone,

We inherited some poorly chosen Cherry Laurel Shrubs at our new home. They are sandwiched between the front of the house and a concrete walkway. They hang over into the walkway quite a bit and grew 4-6 inches just since I pruned them after blooming.

We are debating on whether or not we could transplant them successfully in the fall, however, we have no clue what their root system is like.

We have a very limited budget so if their root system is shallow and/or fibrous we potentially could do it ourselves.

If, however, their root system is deep with thick branch like roots I doubt we will be able to do more than chop them up and remove them.

I feel awful because they are beautiful, but they have clearly outgrown their space. Very few branches had flowers this spring and I see no evidence of fruit either.

Could anyone educate me on what a cherry laurel root system might look like??? Could two people move these 4ft wide and 3 feet high shrubs?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cherry laurel too big! transplant help!

i wouldnt work that hard ... i would cut to the ground.. and round up the stumps ...

but i have 5 acres... and dont need every square inch ...

since.. even if you kill them ... you would want to dig them up.. you may as well try moving them ...

you dont know what the roots look like ... start digging a circle around them.. inside the walk.. and the house.. make sure no utilities are there... and just keep cutting roots as you find them ... and dig to a foot or two.. and start undercutting after that depth ... and when its lose.. hope you can lift it.. or drag it out of there

then go dig a new hole.. slightly better.. drag it over there.. plant at same depth .. water well ... see link for planting instructions ... and hope for the best ...

sounds like a lot of work for $20 plant.. eh??? .. but as i noted.. you will probably have to dig them out anyway.. so why not try ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o
RE: cherry laurel too big! transplant help!

I've moved fairly large ones, but now is not a good time to do it. Really too hot -- at least here anyway.

You might just try pruning them back drastically now -- like 8 inches! .... I know, it sounds harsh.

You are talking Prunus laurocerasus 'Otto Luyken', right? And you don't say where you live... or your zone. So it's hard to counsel.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here