Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pvecholane

Viburnum pollinating

echolane
12 years ago

I recently bought a single Viburnum sargentii 'Onandaga' and in spite of the fact that I missed the flowering period, I'm in love with this plant because of its beautiful foliage and upright habit. Am wondering why I can't use a second 'Onandaga' for pollenating?

Or, if not, is there another species that would bloom at the same time that I could use for that purpose?

I really like the photos I've seen of V. plicatum 'Summer Snowflake', especially that it seems much taller than wide. How about this one?

Or V. judii? or V. dilatatum 'Erie'? Or V.'Mohawk'?

Comments (4)

• viburnumvalley
    12 years ago

No, no, no, no, and no.

You need to plant a similar partner for your 'Onondaga' - which would be another clone of V. sargentii or near relative like V. trilobum or V. opulus that have overlapping bloom time.

Here in KY, I have success with other V. sargentii selections like 'Flavum', 'Susquehanna', V. sargentii var. calvescens, and Chiquita�.

All the other viburnums you've mentioned are very nice plants, but not as pollinating partners for 'Onondaga'.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    12 years ago

Echolane,

Planting two of the same cultivar is like planting a single plant just twice as large. Plants that are not self-fertile will not become self fertile just because they are planted in two different locations. Genetically, two plants that are are the same clone, are the same plant.

• echolane
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Got it - read the absolutely fantastic info posted in '05 by viburnumvalley. So now, I'm looking for V. sargentii 'Chiquita' as a mate for 'Onandaga'.

Have to confess that I am also getting hooked on Viburnums and have decided to devote one fence line to mostly Viburnums. The first thing I noticed is that it is almost impossible to get the ones I'm interested in from nurseries in my area though (either not available or not available now), so mailorder it will have to be.

Hopefully Viburnums will do fine in my Sunset Zone 15 garden.

• viburnumvalley
    12 years ago

I have next to no knowledge on what Viburnum species are appropriate for San Francisco Bay conditions, but I do know good growers as sources.

Just about anything you get from Forestfarm up in Oregon is going to be a good plant, and not too far from you for shipping purposes. More to your viburnum point (but further away) is Classic Viburnums in Upland, NE. These folks are premier, and will rise to your challenge to grow the viburnum you desire.

And you can tell them I said so.

Please don't hesitate to shout for more Viburnum information, or questions about sourcing, etc.