Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Roots exposed Small Shrubs

Posted by gina_indiana 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 14, 08 at 12:23

Hello and again thanks for all your kind help with garden matters. Invaluable !! A small line of shrubs on the side of my house have their roots showing (exposed) . Like some of the soil has washed away . Just purchased this home and trying to clean it up.
Should I put some top soil over the roots and then mulch ? Give me an idea of the best way to protect the exposed roots and should I give them some food also ? They look scraggly but the shrubs are thriving. Presently, have to keep them so I'd like to fixe em up !
Thanks again ~

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Roots exposed Small Shrubs

why mess with a thriving shrub????

if they are OK with it.. i am sure you have a lot of other things to work on with your new house ...

NEVER FIX THAT WHICH IS NOT BROKEN ...

but getting a proper ID would really help you make the ultimate decision ... it would help you research whether this is normal ....

if you can post a pic... we can probably tell you what it is

NEVER FERTILIZE A SHRUB .. period ... its a bush.. not a child ... nor a tree.. nor a conifer ....

ken

o

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 15, 08 at 10:05

Ken, I've never heard of fertilizing children. What type of fertilizer is best for them?

But, back to shrubs...sometimes shrubs need fertilizer. It certainly doesn't sound like Gina's shrubs do, but that doesn't mean you can make a blanket statement that one should "never fertilize a shrub." Some shrubs planted in nutrient deficient soil can benefit from proper fertilization.

o

Hey Brandon,

I guess what I was trying to say about this little row of shrubs was that part of their woody roots are showing and they're not lovely to view. I thought perhaps there might be something ( soil+mulch ) that might be beneficial as well as pleasant to look at.

I didn't get the fertilize children thing but hey...
I appreciate people taking the time to give me advice.
Thanks ~

o

no soil on top of roots...

if you dont want to look at the roots ... add a course wood mulch ...

in your original question.. you asked if I SHOULD GIVE THEM SOME FOOD... plant food is fertilizer ...

SHRUBS NEVER NEED BE FEED ... they are shrubs.. not children ...

brandon .. you and i.. if we felt there was a problem with a plant.. would have a soil test done.. and amend the soil so the plants can thrive.. yes????

it is not worthwhile to tell the general public.. that plants need to be fed like children .... this would include.. conifers.. trees and shrubs ... they just never need food ... especially if they are within 10 feet of a lawn that is fertilized .....

the problem is .. excepting gina, of course [because she actually came here and asked] ... is that the normal homeowner... doesnt bother to read instructions.. if one teaspoon of fert is necessary .. most homeowners figure a handful is better.. and 2 handfuls is twice as good ... frankly ... the homeowner is the biggest polluter in the world.. feeding and spraying things that just dont need to be fooled with ... my water table just doenst need all that fert in it ....

so gina.. mulch to hide the roots.. with the benefit of cooling the soil... and as the mulch breaks down.. feeding the soil ... and reducing the need to ever water a shrub ...

no food..

no fert. ..

no nothing...

remember.. you said they were thriving.. so dont mess with them .. but solve the aesthetic ...

good luck

ken

o

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 16, 08 at 12:06

Ken, I kinda knew what you were saying. I was just having a litte fun with the fertilizing children thing. I gotta keep you on your toes. LOL

Gina, Ken is right on target about the mulch.

o

I have always found children native to any location, get plenty of growth with dirt, sun and water, like all growing things! I never use any special growth things, they grow fast enough without!! I do feed them to keep them perky, seems to work for me.

o

found it virginia ...

let me know if i can be of any further help ..

yes to the above.. my kids have been raised in dirt ... and sun.. and water ... in fact.. here is a pic of the SANDPIT ... lol .. and i am sure they have eaten there share of dirt in the interim ....

do note.. i dont have any shade structure for my plants .. but i have it for my red headed pale boy .... i spend money on him and sissy .. not fertilizer ... and that mineral sand is about as plain a soil as you can get ... right above the green pail.. on the hill are two green giant arbs ... you see them in 2005 .... with NO FERT ... and no water since 2006 .. they are now about 10 to 15 feet tall ... second pic

ken

Photobucket

green gianta

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here