Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Alleghany vs. Prague - that is the question...

Posted by windymess 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 12:35

I'll avoid saying anything about why I want screening from my neighbors to the back (I remember my grandmother telling me- "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all"). Long-story-short: I need to plant some viburnums! And I happen to love viburnums anyway, so any excuse will do. At a previous home we had a couple of large (10 x 10) ones that we loved, of an unknown variety. Recently, in my new yard, I planted a few Korean Spice along one side and I can hardly wait until they get a little bigger and start blooming. They have lovely leaves even without blooms, though. So - in the back I have a long expanse and I need the shrubs to be eventually in the 10-ft+ range. I've seen some in nearby neighborhoods that I'm sure are some type of leatherleaf. The nursery has both Alleghany and Prague - both seem like they might fit the bill. This hedge will be partly shaded. By that I mean they will get some sun at different times of the day, but it's very protected and there is a high canopy of trees. Does anyone have experience with these and have an opinion about which is more attractive, etc.? And BTW, this nursery also has Conoy, which I believe will pollenize the Prague... so I guess I could get one of those to place somewhere else in the yard.... Oh, and they also have Mohawk, which I believe is fragrant. And they have Summer Snowflake doublefile, and I know I need one of those! I feel like I might go on a viburnum binge! But the priority is the screening hedge, and I'll be needing 5 of them. Thanks in advance for any info and advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Alleghany vs. Prague - that is the question...

I would vote for Prague. Mine have stayed very full at the bottom whereas Alleghany tends to be leggier at maturity. The finer texture of Prague is (subjectively) more attractive. The blooms on both are much the same. The evergreen nature of both is handy for screening. Mine are growing under an oak and still have reasonable density in the shadiest areas.

o

Last winter, the coldest in 30 years, my young Prague never lost a single leaf while the much older Allegheny was completely defoliated.

o

i would tend to hesitate on planting a monoculture ... just in case some plague rolls thru ...

why not something non V for plant 2 and 4 ... in a line of 5????

ken

o

Great - so Prague it is. The aspect of fullness in the lower part of the shrub is something I didn't know and hadn't thought about -- but will be better I think. One further question -- how far apart is really appropriate? And please keep in mind this is for screening, especially above the fence.

Ken - this is a great point! And I think about that sometimes as I drive around my area and see how many Austrian Pines are diseased, dead or dying. But what might be a good addition or alternative that will get up to the 8-10+ ft range in height? I'm stumped. This is zone 5, KC area, with some pretty harsh cold winters sometimes....

Thanks!

o

I spaced mine @ 5' on centers and they are now a solid screen. Probably could have spaced them farther apart but 5' isn't too close in my book. Depends on how patient you are. ;o)

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 2, 14 at 22:25

I had a large Prague that was completely annihilated.

My zone 5 is much different than yours though. I believe the coldest spot in KC and surrounding area is 5b.

Before it croaked it was one of my favorite viburnums. I replaced it with a hardier variety, Summer Reflection.

o

Thanks all! Yes - I do think 5b is pretty accurate for this area generally.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here