Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
windymess

Alleghany vs. Prague - that is the question...

I'll avoid saying anything about why I want screening from my neighbors to the back (I remember my grandmother telling me- "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all"). Long-story-short: I need to plant some viburnums! And I happen to love viburnums anyway, so any excuse will do. At a previous home we had a couple of large (10 x 10) ones that we loved, of an unknown variety. Recently, in my new yard, I planted a few Korean Spice along one side and I can hardly wait until they get a little bigger and start blooming. They have lovely leaves even without blooms, though. So - in the back I have a long expanse and I need the shrubs to be eventually in the 10-ft+ range. I've seen some in nearby neighborhoods that I'm sure are some type of leatherleaf. The nursery has both Alleghany and Prague - both seem like they might fit the bill. This hedge will be partly shaded. By that I mean they will get some sun at different times of the day, but it's very protected and there is a high canopy of trees. Does anyone have experience with these and have an opinion about which is more attractive, etc.? And BTW, this nursery also has Conoy, which I believe will pollenize the Prague... so I guess I could get one of those to place somewhere else in the yard.... Oh, and they also have Mohawk, which I believe is fragrant. And they have Summer Snowflake doublefile, and I know I need one of those! I feel like I might go on a viburnum binge! But the priority is the screening hedge, and I'll be needing 5 of them. Thanks in advance for any info and advice!

Comments (7)