Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tom7654

shrub toppled

Tom7654
12 years ago

Hi, I guess it's an Arbor Vitae type of shrub, about 4' tall and 3' wide.

I'm just getting around to fixing it. The last big snowfall months ago weighed down the side toward the sidewalk, so the next morning it was tipped away from the house.

The roots near the house foundation are exposed, but the plant is still alive.

I'll trim it way back to lighten the load. Then how can I straighten it? Thanks.

Comments (10)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

get rid of it.. it isnt worth the effort.. most likely ...

otherwise.. post a pic for ideas ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• Tom7654
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Ken. I do want want to keep it. It's tipped to the left, away from the house. The roots aren't actually raised much, just a few inches.

If this photo isn't good enough, I can post a video. I'm thinking I'd have to drive a stake and attach the shrub to that - or else run a prop from the sidewalk diagonally upwards to the shrub 'trunk'.

Also, is it harmful to cut it way back at this time of year? It's way overgrown.

{{gwi:268332}}

12 years ago

i stand by my comment ...

too big a plant.. planted to close to the house.. causing it to lean out for sunlight... which only made it prone to snow load ...

they are pretty cheap ... IF IT WERE ME.. i would get rid of it... and in fall go get another.. and properly plant it at least 4 feet from the foundation ...

you decide whatever pleases you.. you asked for opinion..

ken

• Tom7654
    Original Author
    12 years ago

no, I didn't ask for opinion on whether to keep it; I asked for ideas on how to straighten it.

4 feet from the foundation would put it onto the sidewalk.

if you don't know how to do it, you could have just said so.

• jean001a
    12 years ago

OP said "I asked for ideas on how to straighten it"

Okay, stake it. But understand that it will always need to be staked.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    12 years ago

"Also, is it harmful to cut it way back at this time of year? It's way overgrown."

You cannot cut it "way back" like you might a yew. Once you cut in back of what is green, that branch will die. It will always look overgrown because it is too close to the house. If you do want to cut back to a thin shell of green, March or April is the best time to do so in zone 5a.

tj

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    12 years ago

My guess is that there are root system deficiencies, caused by improper planting / poor site conditions, responsible for this mess. I agree with all the other contributors, it's not something I'd try to keep because there's no really satisfactory way of fixing the underlying problems. Sometimes accepting the bad news and dealing with the real problem head-on is the best way to go.

12 years ago

that is classic picture of .. in my snow load MI ... of the storm hitting the side of the house.. and dumping excess snow load.. or ice.. on a plant already leaning away from the structure because it is reaching for sunlight ... because it is being shaded by its larger neighbor further into the picture ...

foundation plantings are planted to hide the foundation .. not ON the foundation ... a very common mistake caused by prior owners .. lol

look at the pix at the link.. and consider the scope of the potential of this little plant.. and try to understand.. it doesnt really belong there ...

though.. of course.. whatever you wish to do.. is fine with me...

oh .. and as to your insult that i dont know how to do it..

pound in a 6 foot T bar fence post ... as it will need to be there forever [the plant will never support itself] .. and simply tie the darn thing to it.. the sight of the rope and stakes.. ought to lend quite an air of sophistication to your landscape ... it ought to please you no end .. every time you walk by on the sidewalk ... [do make sure at pounding.. there are no buried utilities ]

good luck .. live your dream ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    12 years ago

If you don't plan on living there forever and do decide to use a T-post, drive the post in with the little nibs/bumps facing TOWARDS the house. That will allow for much easier removal (with a T-post puller) later on if someone decides to remove them.

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

Make sure beforehand you will not be driving it into buried utilities.