Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant suggestions between a pool & retaining wall.

Posted by Davy_K none (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 14:10

The space between the pool and retaining wall is 4'. We like the plants to grow up to 5' in the middle. Zone 9/10, full sun, clay soil, Southern California.

I was thinking maybe myrtle/Myrtus communis, where the two pilasters are located at the left and right sides and a flowering shrub in between? I will add a few more pictures.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant suggestions between a pool & retaining wall.

no plant stops growing... how will you prune them.. once or twice per year??? is there space to work on such??? is the wall.. the retaining wall.. the actual pool side???

what about vines on the fencing???

ken

o

Here's a better view. The cement of the pool is one side and retaining wall for the slope on the other side.

You recommend not planting shrubs? I was thinking hibiscus, bush anemone/carpenteria californica, maybe 2/ myrtle/Myrtus communis, and Rock rose/pavonia lasiopetala...

I guess I should look into vines or potted plants.

I figured a gardener would trim the shrubs back as needed, every 2-4 weeks?

o

How about bougainvillea? It's a lovely vine or trained tree...amazing when in bloom...I have a bonsai of one since I can't grow it in zone 5. But when I am in Honduras I am in awe of them in tree form there.

o

i asked... how you plan to actually do the pruning.. ???

without water in the pool i am having a hard time conceptualizing... the dry workspace ...

will you be walking along the stone cap with pruning shears.. and a floating garbage pail to put all the cuttings in???

you can come up with ideas about all different kinds of plants.. that is not the issue i cant solve ...

the issue is.. how do you care for them.. short of being a fairy with wings .. tinkerbell .. who can hover on the other side of the wrought iron fence ... in mid air ....

i see some kind of something coming thru the square caps.. what is to be installed there.. lights??? .. if so.. you wont be doing a Karl Wallenda along the rest of the caps ... see link ...

and that best defines how i dont understand how you would prune and care for plants of various types .... and that is the limitation that concerns me ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here