Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shabacca

Junipers are turning brown & thinning out

shabacca
9 years ago

Could someone please tell me what's wrong with my junipers and how I can cure them. The browning and thinning have been happening for several years.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Comments (10)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

google: juniper tip blight

ken

• shabacca
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ken, Thanks for identifying the problem. Do you know what I should do to stop the Tip Blight?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

you need to confirm such ....

i got rid of all mine that were susceptible ... lol.. not much help eh???

google the term... i am sure you will be overwhelmed with info ... i did not care to spray them as required ... so i lost interest at that point in learning the process...

they are conifers.. there is a conifer forum ... and MAYBE some peeps there have dealt with such ... but i would bet most of what you will hear is getting rid of them.. and planting a resistant variety.. or better yet.. something else ...

your county extension office might have info on such also ....

do not start spraying chemicals until you verify the disease ... and a good way to start is to figure out which juniper you have [the second latin name] .... not all Js are susceptible ... i would hate for you to spray.. only to find out it was winter damage.. or some such .... and that is one reason i dont want you to get the ID from some guy who sells chemicals ... they always seem to have a spray to sell .... whether you need it or not ....

ken

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

Are they planted in a wet area? It doesn't take much moisture for junipers to be too wet for them. How is the drainage? Is the soil 'heavy'.
    Mike

• shabacca
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mike, the, junipers are planted on a slope and get full sun. The draining is good. No standing water. I don't know what you mean by "heavy" soil. Thanks for your response.

This post was edited by Shabacca on Wed, Jul 9, 14 at 13:06

• shabacca
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ken, I'll check and see the type of junipers I have and then ask my question in the conifer forum. Removing the Junipers are not an option. It took 25 years to get them as large as they are. I must save them. Thank you.

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

They look like Juniperus sabina, 'Tamariscifolia', commonly called Juniper Tam.
    Are they getting overspray from the lawn watering?
    Sulfer is used for Juniper Tip blight.
    I agree on leaving them there if at all possible. Rarely do I see them planted with enough room to grow without being ugly sheared. They are doing the job as intended...a low barrier from the road.
    Heavy soil is slow draining and usually smaller particles than sandy soil. Think dense loam or clay. Soil you can wad up and make a ball.
    Just taking a guess, they're getting supplemental water from a sprinkler and the basic soil is on the sandy side.
    Mike

• shabacca
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mike, You're right they are Tams and I have been over spraying them when I water the lawn. I will try to avoid that in future watering. Thanks for your explanation of heavy soil.

• shabacca
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Gardengal48. Thanks so much for you reply. I'll probable have a professional spray them when the time is right. In the mean time, I'll trim as much as I can and stop over-spraying them.