Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

shrubs for camouflage

Hi all.

We are replacing a board-on-board fence that was damaged last winter with a black chain link, so I want to get some shrubs in front pretty quick. The fence is on a steep hill at the back of our property. The upper part gets more sun than the lower part. I have thought of trying climbing hydrangea on the fence, but the dogs trampled the one I tried to start last year. I am planning to plant a mixture of things including H. tardiva. I am wondering what you all think of mixing those with fothergilla, maybe ninebark, Snow Day Surprise Exochorda, maybe a rhododendron (although I never have much luck with those)or two, Euonymus manhatten... I am looking for ideas on shrubs that will look great together because left on my own, I usually end up with a hodgepodge rather than a lovely cohesive garden!

The hill I want to plant is 76 feet long, so I do have space. I know I need to vary leaf sizes and textures, but I often don't get it quite right. I would love to have some evergreen plants mixed in and would like things that get at least 5-6 feet tall in the back of the border. I might even try a couple of camellias if you think that would work in any possible combination. We are in northern Virginia, so summers are hot and humid and often dry, although I do water.

Any thoughts are welcome. I can post a picture once the new fence is in to give you a better idea, but I figured all you brilliant folks could make suggestions nonetheless. It is a hard spot to plant because the incline is about a 30-45 degree slope-ugh. I will probably actually plant in the fall, both because that is smarter and because the area is heavily weedy right now! Oh-and our new neighbor on the other side has just planted a row of evergreens including leyland cypress and three or four pines, all of which are about 7 feet tall at this point. They won't have a huge impact on the amount of sun in the area I am planting because they will be to the east-could lose some of the early morning sun, though.

Thanks!

Cynthia

Comments (2)