Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phorty_gw

Recommend some large shrubs for this area under large Oaks (pics)

phorty
15 years ago

I want to plant a few shrubs that will get pretty large, hopefully around 8x8 to make my neighbors above ground pool a little less of an eyesore. They don't have to create a wall and completely hide it and its okay if the leaves come off in the winter. The area is in my front yard and there are three big oaks that tower over the area. A good amount of sun gets through so I guess you would call it filtered. However, some direct sun also gets through since the oaks aren't all that close. I'm hoping some Viburnums will work. I've found some healthy looking Chicago Lustre and Double File Mariesis locally. Any other ideas?

See below for links to pictures of the area. I want to plant them about 5 feet approx in off the driveway.

Comments (20)

• phorty
    Original Author
    15 years ago

First pic...

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:269127}}

• phorty
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Second pic...

• phorty
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Third pic...

• phorty
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I just realized all three pictures are the same.

Try below for pic 2:

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:269128}}

• phorty
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here is the second attempt at pic 3...

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:269129}}

• ego45
    15 years ago

Both Viburnums will work there, though 'Mariesii' would be my personal choice. Unless you have nearby pollinators, in order to have berries you should plant compatible mates. 'Shasta', for example.
    I'd also include in a planting any of the cultivars of Hydrangea paniculata in order to create mid-summer/fall interest when viburnum's main show will be gone.
    Though paniculatas could be planted in a full sun, open shade is more than OK for them.
    Suggestion, use at least 3 shrubs, but don't plant them in a straight row, stagger them somewhat.
    H.paniculata 'Limelight' will look especialy attractive in a filtered shade like yours.

• Dibbit
    15 years ago

Since many of the double-file viburnums can get to 12' wide, I think I would give them more room than 5' in off the drive. To allow for any extra growth, I think I would opt for a minimum spacing of 7' off the drive, at least for viburnums. The hydrangeas get to 8' wide, so should be safe at 5'. Another Hydrangea variety to consider is H. quercifolia, oakleaf hydrangea - they have good fall color as well as mid to late summer flowers.

• phorty
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow! Thanks for all the ideas, that gives me some things to think about. I'm trying to think about how I would create a staggered row with a couple Hydrangeas in there. I do see the Limelight variety all around here and they seem to do very well in shady spots.

I do like the Mariesii quite a bit based on pictures I've seen but I was under the impression that zone 5 might be a bit too cold, that's why I was considered Arrowwood varieties. I like how the Mariesii is less leggy and fills out closer to the ground.

Another thought, would perhaps a flowering dogwood work in the middle of the area and them do a few hydrandeas and viburnums on either side?

Also, I included a link below to a row of shrubs in my yard. They were planted by the previous owner and are extrememly hardy but I'm not sure what they are. I've never seen flowers on them but one of them looks like it trying to push out some white flowers right now.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• phorty
    Original Author
    15 years ago

An update for you. I bought 2 Mohican Viburnums and 2 Paniculata Hydrangeas- one is a Pink Diamond and the other is a Kyushu. So that's a good start for the planting. Will I need something else for these Mohican's to get flowers and berries? Will they get tall enought to block the view of the pool? If not, I'll plant them off to the side and get 2 other for the spot directly in front of the pool. Thanks again for all the help!

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    15 years ago

Yes, you'll need a pollinator for 'Mohican', which is a V. lantana. 'Allegheny', a cross with 'Mohican' as one of the parents would work. They'll get about 8 feet tall.

• phorty
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hmmm... I wish they would have said that at the nursery but they assured me otherwise. I haven't seen the Allegheny variaties anywhere so I'll have to search.
    I'm trying to figure out how I can plant basically a triangle set-up with these 2 Mohicans and a hydrangea. Since the spread of a Mohican is 8 feet, how far apart should I plant them? I'm thinking maybe 10 feet apart with the Hydrangea planted in between them but staggered 3 feet in. Do I have the right idea?

• ego45
    15 years ago

Sounds OK.

• phorty
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Last night, I got two arrowwoods, one Chicago Luster and a Northern Burgundy. Those will work together to maximize flowering and berries, right?

Also, can anyone identify this shrub? Very fast growing. I cut them down a lot last summer and they're huge again.
    {{gwi:269146}}
    {{gwi:269147}}
    {{gwi:269149}}
    {{gwi:269150}}

• ego45
    15 years ago

Cornus sericea or Cornus alba

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:269139}}

• phorty
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is a 4 year later photo comparison.

I planted the 2 tall viburnums with a hydrangea in the middle 4 years ago. And I added the 2 viburnums on the side 2 years ago.

Not super happy about the look but not sure what to do about it. The tall viburnum on the right looks good but the tall one on the left is drooping over. The hydrangea in the middle is leggy and I should probably move it.
    {{gwi:269127}}

{{gwi:269153}}

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    11 years ago

Wow, you've effectively camouflaged the area very well!

That thing is in their FRONT yard??
    How is that even legal?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

you might want to dig a 6 inch hole .. a couple of them.. in the bed ... in june.. july.. august.. and find out how well those plants are competing for available moisture ...

i think that is a great result.. and your only failure.. is the height of your expectation ...

also.. depending on how deep your lot is.. you might want to plant a few small trees [redbud???].. halfway between your house.. and the alley[???] ... out in more sunshine ... those are not performing.. with vigor.. due to the reduced light of the giants they are planted under.. i often say.. to think outside the box of working ONLY at the property line ...

regardless.. thx for the followup ...

ken

• phorty
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks guys! Here are a few more shots so you can get perspective of the yard. Haha, the pool is in their back yard! My house is a unique set-up for our area - on a private driveway with 2 other properties each with 1/2 acre. Our neighbors with the pool are on a normal street with small lots and their backyards back up to our front yard.

Here's a recent picture, the area is along the lane on the left:
    {{gwi:51350}}

Here is a shot from shortly after doing the planting:
    {{gwi:269155}}

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

That is a wonderful change and it will only get better in the coming years! I love it when people come back to show how things have grown years later.
    Thanks for the new pics.

• phorty
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the compliments guys!

The front of my house has been a work in progess that's for sure. I just had the paver walk put in, now I need to decide what color shutters to go with. The current shutters and front door are a forest green color. Was going to do black shutters and a sage green front door - now I'm thinking of doing a wood toned door and sage green shutters.

{{gwi:51349}}