Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help.....barberry not thriving?

Posted by dani_grow 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 24, 07 at 15:28

Help I have a barberry that is not dead and is a gorgeous burgundy color planted in full sun...however it has not shown any growth in almost 3 years. I drove through my subdivision this week and everyone has them and they all seem to be at leat 3 times the size of mine. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help.....barberry not thriving?

Same problem with mine, might be too dry? Come to think of it, the nice ones I've seen have not been in full sun. Maybe ours need more water for being in full sun? Good luck.

o

That may be true---however I was under the impression the less sun they received the more green they turned. It seems like a no win situation.Thanks for the reply.

o

Did you perhaps buy Crimson Pygmy barberry? It supposedly only gets 2 ft X 3 ft & in my experience is a very slow grower, showing very little growth for the first 3 years, then a nice spurt, but still pretty small shrubs. My 4 Pygmy barberries, bought as very small shrubs, have not reached 2 X 3 in five year in my zone 5 garden.

Rose Glow Barberry does easily grow 4-6 ft tall and wide here, although people do have a tendancy to trim them down into smaller meatballs.

o

I am not sure exactly what type of barberry they are. We are in a new subdivision and they were all planted by the builder at all of the homes. Thanks alot for the response. I may relocate them to see if they can find a HAPPY PLACE.

o

This is not an answer to your question, but I hope a tactful observation. Barberry is on the "invasive" list in MA, and I bet in some other states. Maybe this an opportunity to replace this with another plant, perhaps a native, or at least with something that doesn't compete so effectively with our native flora.

o

My 'Crimson Pygmies' are 3' tall x 5' wide after ten years. I wish they were as small as advertised. I think pruning them back several times made them grow more.....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here