Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Boxwood suggestions pls

Posted by janice_il z5 IL (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 1, 10 at 15:46

I am having some Mugo pines taken out that have completely overgrown their location in my landscape. I would like to replace them with boxwoods, because of the year round interest and the smaller maximum size. I live in northern illinois and the site faces north, quite near the house so semi protected and want a maximum height of about 36 inches. I love the glossy boxwoods but dislike having winter burn brown out the branches. I also will be letting them be 'natural' and not clipping them into globes.

What boxwood should I be looking for?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Boxwood suggestions pls

Check their hardiness, but I love my dwarf English boxwood. They are slow growing, very neat and formal looking and I have not had to prone them so far. I planted them last Spring on the western side of the house (kind of close to the house).

o

Tks for the response but unfortunately english boxwood is zone 6-8 and I'm in chilly zone 5. They would never make it through my winters.

Anyone else have a suggestion?

o

I'm in your zone (Cleveland) and am very happy with the Green Velvet boxwoods I planted last summer. No browning (so far...) and have really filled in quite nicely. Made it through the winter beautifully

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here