Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to prune an Oakleaf Hydrangea to encourage denser growth

Posted by KateinDC 7a (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 15:50

I have an oakleaf hydrangea ("Amethyst") that I planted in 2011, which has grown very fast to about 5 feet. It is quite rangy with some of the branches lying on the ground. I also have a much older Snowflake oakleaf hydrangea (which was already big when I moved here) that has a much better shape, with dense upright growth from the base. I'm wondering if there is anything in the way of pruning that would encourage such a habit in my younger shrub, i.e. more new shoots from the base. Thank you for any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to prune an Oakleaf Hydrangea to encourage denser growth

"Dense upright growth" is not the typical growth habit for oakleaf hydrangeas. They do tend to be rather rangy but if well-sited and healthy, the foliage should be dense enough during the growing season that this ranginess is not obvious. Here is an image of a mature Amethyst from a Polish website - very sprawly and not at all upright:

You can prune if you like.....not sure that would produce results that are what you are looking for. And be aware that pruning now will both eliminate flowering potential for next season as well as likely producing new late season growth that could more easily be damaged by winter cold.

o

you are a newb.. right ..

i think the only failure here.. is your expectation of what you want it to look like.. vs what it is .. and how littel time you have given it ... presuming it wasnt a 10 foot transplant ....

ignore it for 3 years.. focusing on other things..

and in 3 years.. you will be amazed ...

dont over analyze it all.. give your garden time to develop ...

if you want any real opinions.. you will have to post a pic ...

ken

o

Sorry, I just saw these responses... thought I had signed up for email alerts.

Ken, yes, I am a newbie. I moved into an old house with virtually zero landscaping (aside from the inevitable azaleas and nandinas etc. - that older hydrangea was actually a 10' transplant I got from a neighbor) a few years ago, and have been transforming the yard into a garden during the past three years.

I'm fine giving the shrub time. I have just been stunned by how huge it has gotten in the three years since I planted it, and was wondering if I should cut it back a bit and thereby could encourage denser growth. I thought pruning through July was fine with regard to next year's flowering. But it sounds like I might better leave it alone.

Thanks for the advice!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here