Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
samnsarah

Summer Wine Ninebark Problem

Tim
10 years ago

My Ninebark 'Summer Wine' is suffering from branch die-back in the middle of the shrub. I planted it last year and it was very healthy. It still looks healthy now, except for the branches that are dying inside the shrub. I cut the dead branches off and then a couple of weeks later another one died. After further examination I noticed that the top of the root ball was exposed, so I dug it up and replanted in the same place just a little deeper, so the top of the root ball was level with the soil line again. I cut another dead branch off yesterday, but IâÂÂm not sure if it has recently died or just one that I missed before I replanted it.
In addition to this, I planted the Ninebark on top of the site of a ground tree stump, so about 6-12â below the shrubâÂÂs root ball are the remains of a rotting tree stump. I donâÂÂt know if that would promote root rot or not. I found another question from several years ago about a similar issue with a Diabolo Ninebark at the link below, but it didnâÂÂt really help much. Anyway, has anyone else experienced this problem, and if so were you able to correct it?

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/shrubs/msg0708423913894.html

Comments (9)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

Planting high is never an issue - it is far preferable to plant with the rootball above grade than it is to plant too low. Planting over a decomposing stump can present further problems as well. As the wood material decomposes it will pull nitrogen out of the soil and that can affect the ninebark's growth and health. Decomposition will also cause it to shrink and collapse, with the rootball sinking even further below the soil surface.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i would not have redug in in late july ...

ken

• Tim
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, I guess I should clarify, I actually redug it in mid-June, not late July.

• Tim
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My Ninebark 'Summer Wine' appears to be doing much better now. The foliage is healthy, there is no sign of any more dying branches, and new growth is emerging. I think the cooler temperatures and all the rain we have been getting has helped immensely.

• radovey
    5 years ago
    I have a Summer Wine ninebark in tree form and many of the branches appear to be dead. Some of the larger branches have green inside of them and there are only a few leaves forming in the center of the tree. does anybody know if I should cut the Woody ones off and leave the ones that have green inside of them to save the plant?
  • ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    5 years ago

where are you rad ...

and whats the hurry to cut stuff off ... give it a another month or 2 ...

next time ... start your own post.. include location ... and perhaps add a pic or two ...

ken

• Tim
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hey, Radovey, just curious is your Ninebark Summer Wine in full sun? I have one Ninebark Summer Wine on the south side of my house in full blazing sun all day, and it does fantastic. I have another Ninebark Summer Wine literally 10 feet from the first one, but it is in morning sun and afternoon shade, and it gets dead branches in it every year. I don't worry too much about it, because the foliage looks good and it keeps growing numerous new branches every year. But my theory is that Ninebark Summer Wine shrubs need full sun to grow their best. Shade may be the cause of the die back. And yes, I cut the dead branches out.

• HU-746322357
    last year

My summer wine look like it’s burning up the leaves come in green but they dry up fast?

• Tim
    Original Author
    last year

This summer in South central Kansas, we have seen over three months of drought and sustained temperatures in the upper 90's to low 100's.  Everything looks scorched and wilted, including Ninevarks and Spireas.  Even the Honey Suckle vines are wilting and drying up.  Literally half of  my Summer Wine Ninebark is dead, and the other half is drying up and  that's with as much water as I can afford to give it.  It's usually not a problem, but this year is especially harsh.