Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Witch Hazel Arnolds Promise Pruning

Posted by marieabbie none (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 12, 14 at 16:06

Hi - I have a Witch Hazel Arnold Promise that is about 15 years old. We have never pruned it. It is about 10 feet tall and beautiful EXCEPT it only has
growth above the 6 foot mark. If I cut it down to about 4 feet, would it grow from there. I thought I read somewhere that it would only grow from branches that currently have growth?

This post was edited by marieabbie on Sat, Jul 12, 14 at 18:19

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Witch Hazel Arnolds Promise Pruning

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 12, 14 at 16:13

Name is 'Arnold Promise', after the Arnold Arboretum. If you cut it back that much all at once it will look stubby and send out replacement branches at crazy angles. Some off the lopped off trunks may not even grow back out very well at all.

o
RE: Witch Hazel Arnolds Promise Pruning

Thank you!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here