Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donnabaskets

Can you recommend a red Crepe Myrtle?

Donna
14 years ago

I would like to find a red (not dark pink. RED.) crepe myrtle that grows about four feet by four feet with dense, mounding foliage (and 12 month a year bloom time :).

Is there such a thing? Can anyone recommend a cultivar?

Comments (10)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    14 years ago

How about a Crape Myrtle instead?

Here are a few you might want to check into. I'll leave it up to someone more familiar with the different cultivars for a specific recommendation.

Christiana (just a little larger than you asked for)
    Coral Sport (just a little larger than you asked for)
    Mandi (just a little larger than you asked for)
    Okmulgee (red but slightly towards pink)
    Rubra Compacta
    Tightwad Red
    Victor
    Weeping Alamo Fire

Ooops, running out of time. May be able to list more later...

• Donna
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hmmm. Just double checked my spelling with The Southern Living Garden Book. They spell it with that "e". One more reason to use "Lagerstroemia", I guess. (No offense meant. None taken.)

Wow. Thanks for all these recommendations. I had no idea there were so many (or any, for that matter). Looks like Forest Farm will be hearing from me soon.

Do you have personal experience with all these? They will be planted in a shrubbery that has alot of purple from Rose Glow Berberis, hydrangeas, and loropetalums and reds from Firepower Nandinas and Camellias, along with a berrying shrub whose name escapes me now. Any thoughts?

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    14 years ago

Here's a chart of the varieties mentioned. I made it quickly, so it isn't pretty. Double check my facts before making a decision.

Cultivar ............. Height .. Form .. Mildew Resistance
    Cherokee ......... 8'-10' ... globose ....... good
    Cheyenne ......... 8'-12' ... rounded ...... high
    Chica Red ........ 2'-4' ... small dwarf ... fair
    Christiana ......... 8'-10' ... upright ........ fair
    Coral Sport ...... 8'-10' ... upright ........ fair
    Mandi .............. 6'-12' ... dwarf .......... fair
    Okmulgee ......... 3'-6' ... dwarf upright ... fair
    Rubra Compacta ... 6'-8' ... ? ... ?
    Tightwad Red ..... 2'-4' ... dwarf ......... high
    Tonto ................ 6'-12' ... compact globose ... high
    Victor ............... 3'-5' ... upright dwarf ... good
    Weeping Alamo Fire ... 2'-3' ... weeping, miniature ... fair

• Donna
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you very much, brandon. I will change my spelling in the future. I wonder how these discrepancies creep up, and I am particularly surprised at Southern Living's usage. You'd think they would be right on target.

I truly appreciate the varieties suggestions. I think I will begin seeking Tightwad Red and Victor. They sound like just what I need.

• jeanette_searcy2010_comcast_net
    13 years ago

I first saw one of Red Dynamite about 11 years ago. I finally got it's name. I called called the University of Oklahoma and spoke to the professor that propagated it. He said I would have a long wait, there was. The nursery that ordered it for me confirmed the wait. I waited 2 1/2 years. When it got here and I planed I found that it was worth the wait. It grows fast, blooms heavily and if you are in the right zone you will have a second bloom time. It was easy to propogate and I spread them all around. If you get one I know you will enjoy. Also , just get on the computer and type in Dynamite Crepe Myrtle.

• shervegas
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Red crepe myrtle I can think of is Red Rocket or Black Diamond I would love to grow one.

• PRO
    Caldwell Home & Garden
    7 years ago

crepe myrtle 'tonto' comes to mind as does 'dynamite'. No crepe myrtle blooms continuously throughout the year.

• Lindsay K
    7 years ago

Tonto and Dynamite are the two I have heard of the most as well. Check their bloom length. Some bloom for 90 days, some longer.

• PRO
    Form and Foliage
    7 years ago

The National Arboretum, which originated 'Tonto', describes it as fuschia. I would tend to agree with them. It ain't red, or even close. I have many Dynamite (no quotes since it is not the registered botanical name). They are very dark pink with about as close to red as I have seen, but they are still pink in my book! The dark foliage is gorgeous, though.