Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
orsawyer

New house, old hedge, how can I revive it?

orsawyer
10 years ago

Hello!

First time poster here. We recently purchased a house and got a hedge as part of the deal. As far as I can tell, the landscaping has been largely neglected for at least 10 years. The house has been rented for the last 20+ years, so it could have been much longer. I'm no master landscaper. I've mowed my share of lawns and done various yard work in the past, but consider me a newbie.

Regardless, there is a 5ft boxwood (I think) hedge running on two sides of the property (corner lot), maybe 100ft alltogether. It;s about 24 inches thick. The hedge is very overgrown with weeds, vines, and saplings from the maple and oak trees on the lot.

I want to save and restore the hedge, so last weekend I started weeding and clearing it out. I got about 25% of it cleared. Cut out saplings, pulled vines, dead material, etc. It looks 1000 times better. Now I'm thinking about mulch. Any tips or special type of mulch to use? Should I use fabric and edge it? What about fertilizer?

Also, I'm going to need to start reshaping the hedge. Should I bother now? Or should I wait until next year? I've read that you want an angle that slopes in from the bottom to the top. I'm concerned because the lower 30-40% of the hedge is very sparse, so angling it in will remove a lot of the upper leaves and leave the whole things pretty sparse. I can live with looking bad while it recovers, but can it make it through the winter with a major mid-summer trim?

Comments (15)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

hey

first.. who's fert'd it for the last ten years??

it does NOT need such ... its a shrub.. not a child ... and.. if you fert the lawn.. it will get whatever it needs....

i hope you treated all the cut trees so they die.. rather than come back ...

a pic would be worth a thousands words of speculation...

i will yell... NEVER USE LANDSCAPE CLOTH ...

any mulch will do ...

edge it if you want... i just use roundup to edge ....

finally.. get an ID on it.. how in the world can we give pruning advice.. if we dont know for sure what it is .... and a pic will get that for you ...

might give us a heads up on where you are.. if i missed it...

ken

• orsawyer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good idea, I will work on a pic. It's pouring outside at the moment. I'm just outside Boston. Haven't had a chance to ID it yet but if you folks can help, that would be great.

Every tree/vine/weed was cut as close to the ground as I could get it, and treated.

The reason I was considering the fertilizer was to give it some extra nutrients prior to possible shearing of most of it's leaves.

When you say you Roundup to the edge, do you just spray it over the grass, etc. out to the edge of where you want your mulch and then put the mulch right on top of it?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

By all means mulch. And the very reason Ken gives NOT to fertilize may be just as valid a reason to do so - any tree or shrub established in the ground can require supplemental fertilization and may benefit from it. Especially if none has been available for 10+ years. It is impossible to make absolutes like 'never fertilize' - sometimes conditions warrant it. It all depends :-)

And start any pruning projects in late winter/early spring or as the hedge starts pushing new growth. This is valid for pretty much any kind of broadleaved evergreen hedging plant. And you may not get it back into shape in a single effort - hedges that have been neglected for a number of years sometimes require multiple small approaches rather than a single big whack :-)

• florauk
    10 years ago

If you could post a picture of the foliage we can confirm its id. Then we can predict how it will react to pruning and how best to tackle the job.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

OK Ken - back down :-)

I was composing my response while the OP responded so missed the part about fertilizing to offset shearing. Agree that is not a valid reason for fertilizing but to completely dismiss the need for fertilizing, especially if the garden (therefore the plant, any mulching and the soil) has been neglected for an extended period of time is not valid either. Soils often need to be refreshed with nutrients, either via a good organic mulch or with fertilization - necessary nutrients are not present endlessly in unlimited quantities. They become depleted overtime, especially with a mature but untended garden.

And "renovation pruning" is not a panacea for all shrubs. Generally that method is used in reference to deciduous flowering shrubs - broadleaved evergreens seldom respond well uniformly to that method and hedge plants in particular are typically approached differently with regards to pruning.

Not trying to be contrary, merely accurate :-))

• orsawyer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And now....pics!

This is a close up of what most of the hedge is composed of.

• orsawyer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It actually looks like there may be some grafting. Though they look similar, the leaves on the left are bigger and on plant with smooth, gray bark while the ones on the lower right (most of the hedge) are smaller and on a plant with darker, rougher bark. The appear to come from same root though.

This post was edited by orsawyer on Wed, Jul 24, 13 at 22:29

• orsawyer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Before.

• orsawyer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

After.

• orsawyer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Any one know what this vine is? I'm not sure if those are seed pods or blossoms or what.

• orsawyer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

When I cleared back the big deposit of leaves from the hedge a lot of thin white roots were exposed. Are these the roots of something growing in the hedge? Or are they roots of the hedge itself? This area has a lot of that vine from the previous pic growing in it.

• florauk
    10 years ago

Your hedge is not Box it is Privet - Ligustrum. Depending on your climate it will be evergreen, semi-evergreen or deciduous. It is very amenable to being cut back hard. Here the time of year to do this would be winter but we don't know where you live so that may not apply to you.

I'm guessing the pods are Vincetoxicum. http://torontogardens.blogspot.co.uk/2009/08/warning-dog-strangling-vine-about-to.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Renovating an old hedge

• orsawyer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you! I've got some reading to do now.

• mulchmama
    10 years ago

I would cut it down to the ground. All that topgrowth looks bad and isn't good for the shrubs. I know you put a lot of work into it, but that hedgerow will love you a lot more it you do a renewal or rejuvenating pruning job. It's hard to get up the courage to di it the first time, but it really does give you a far better looking result. Do it in the spring.