Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Artic Fire Redtwig Dogwood Near a Driveway?

Posted by UncleHippie none (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 1, 13 at 16:37

Hi all,

I have about a 12 foot section at the end of the turnaround of our driveway, and I was wondering if Artic Fire Red Twig Dogwood would be a good option to plant there? We are trying to decide between it and boxwood as sort of a hedge. I am concerned that the dogwoods would attract birds in the winter who might poop on our cars? We live in upstate New York in Zone 5b.

Thank you for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Artic Fire Redtwig Dogwood Near a Driveway?

i dont understand what a 12 foot section means ...

when i moved.. i left a redtwig .. probably the species ... rather than a named variety ..... that was about 8 to 10 feet tall.. and a bit wider ...

you will need to prune it.. thru rejuvenation pruning.. forever ... IMHO ...

give the dimensions of your space ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: not a single winter pic shows winter berries.....

o

The 12 foot section at the end of the turnaround is a space that was used by the previous owners to plant annuals. It is approximately 12 feet long and three feet wide. Right now it is all overgrown with weeds and the like. I am thinking of making this a small hedge in part to block snow drifts and look nice. I would like to get some ideas if possible. I think the redtwig dogwood would look nice there, but I am concerned that the bright red might attract birds to the driveway. Does anyone have any experience with this?

o

No berries in winter to speak of (or many at any other time, either) and the colored stems not an issue with attracting birds. I wouldn't think a very good choice to block snowdrifts necessarily but a colorful addition in winter. And doesn't get very large - 3-4' tall and wide and easily cut back annually. In fact, recommended to be cut back annually to maintain best stem color.

o

If the idea is to use it as a living snow fence, DEFINITELY read some instructions on proper positioning. They have to go in certain places, or you end up with a big snow drift in the middle of the driveway.

o

Is this in a place where you will need to put snow when you clear your driveway? I'm wondering if that is why the PO planted only annuals there. I've learned to leave ample room for the snow that the plow kicks up during heavy snow years in all spots near the drive, and to leave spaces for where DH puts the piles.

I'll second what Mad_Gallica says about researching the siting of snow fences, whether living or traditional. They create snow drifts in desired areas in order to prevent them in other areas, and typically they dump the snow just downwind of the fence location.

I do enjoy the bright color of the winter redwood stems, and they don't cause messy problems with birds and berries.

o

If you cut it back every spring, as you need to to get the best winter colored stems, you will never get bloom or berries.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here