Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
miclino

Ninebark Center Glow hedge

miclino
13 years ago

Looking for an different look with a hedge under a bay window. Need the plants to stay no more than 3-4 feet wide and 4-5 feet tall. The spot has sun till 2pm.

The nursery I visited today said I could easily do this with Ninebark Center Glow. He said I should plant them 3 feet apart. Willing to prune on a regular basis but is this doable given that I have read the plant can get fairly big? Do I have to worry about floppiness since I want a "neat" look

Comments (18)

• whaas_5a
    13 years ago

3' apart? I wouldn't take any more advice from that individual.

Ninebarks are not a good choice for a "neat" look. Also they need to be properly spaced to ensure good circulation as they are can be susecptible to powdery mildew.

If you want a neat look go with a Viburnum, Spirea or Fothergilla. There are various cultivars that have a nice rounded shape.

• duluthinbloomz4
    13 years ago

Much overlooked hedge shrub here in the MidWest is Alpine Currant (Ribes Alpinum). I've an AC hedge along my portico for years and give it a shear with an electric hedge trimmer (though not religiously every year) to keep it at a neat 4' high and 2-3' wide. You can plant them quite close together and they knit into a good looking hedge.

The flowers are pretty inconspicuous, and mine are setting orange berries now. - In the fall they take on a dull yellow color. They don't rival anything with brilliant fall foliage - but as a change from the usual yew or boxwood hedge, they fill the bill.

Left unsheared they have a graceful, arching habit. But best either as a hedge or as a specimen mixed in a shrub border, etc. rather than as a stand alone.

I like my Ninebarks natural. This is my 4th. year with a couple of "Dart's Gold"; this year they really put on some size and have a beautiful branching habit. I couldn't bear hacking those down into a cube.

• miclino
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I started looking at the Ninebark Summer Wine which has more of the untidy look. The nursery guy directed me towards Center Glow instead whcih looked completely different from Summer Wine. I wish I had taken pictures. Center Glow is a beautiful red and had thicker stalks which went straight up and not as much branching (and hence less floppy according to the nursery). I would almost compare it to the form of hydrangea vanilla strawberry which I recently bought. I'm really tempted by the burgundy color which is why I'm hoping to get some reviews from someone who has grown this particular variety.

• whaas_5a
    13 years ago

Your looking at a young plant, hence the vertical shoots. Every Ninebark I have has an arching habit as they grow...its just the nature of the plant. Center Glow is not known for thicker more upright stalks than other Ninebarks.

It takes well to pruning and shaping. But again best color is in all day sun and this plant should have a 5-6' spacing to ensure good air circulation.

Make sure you get advice here or do some research online before buying. The young plants at the nursery will typically have a different look as they grow. I only say this because "the nursery guy directed me towards Center Glow"...it will essentially have a similar habit to Summer Wine, Darts Glow, Diablo and Coppertina.

• miclino
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well I guess I will just go with either Weigela or Viburnum. The viburnum I have seen look somewhat untidy. Any particular Weigela or Viburnum you guys recommend for a tidy 4 foot tall by 3 foot deep hedge? Thanks. Of course will trim as needed.

• rmac78
    13 years ago

'Wine and Roses' Weigela is the best in my opinion. I like this better than my ninebark, Diablo.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wine and Roses

• whaas_5a
    13 years ago

A Viburnum that small will be tough as most don't take to shaping that well.

But a few options...
    Viburnum dentatum 'Rastzam' (Rasberry Tart)
    Viburnum carlesii 'Compactum'

As for Weigela you have some options...

Weigela florida 'Kolmagira' (Raindow Sensation)
    Weigela florida 'Carlton' (Ghost)
    Shining Sensation
    Fine Wine

Although the Raindow Sensation and Ghost Weigelas look interesting, I'm partial to Viburnums so my vote is for Viburnum carlesii 'Compactum'...you get great spring blooms, fall color and if you have a cross pollinator...fruit.

Another shrub that I love that you might want to check out is Blue Shadow Fothergilla.

• prairiegirlz5
    13 years ago

How big does Viburnum dentatum 'Raspberry Tart' get? I want to plant a hedge too, in part shade, behind a row of spirea. I sincerely hope that miclino doesn't mind if I ask a question?

Too much shade for the beautifully colored leaves of Physocarpus. I was thinking Viburnum dentatum would be twiggy and dense enough to hide the vents, meters, etc. on the side of the house. I would keep them trimmed to just under the windows on the first floor, or about six feet tall. Maybe I should plant Viburnum dentatum 'Blue Muffin' too, for cross-pollination. Thanks for any tips.

• whaas_5a
    13 years ago

Rasberry Tart typically gets 4-5' in my area. Blue Muffin is typically the same size but can get up to 6-7'.

• prairiegirlz5
    13 years ago

Thanks whaas. I am not familiar with Raspberry Tart. I forgot to mention that this hedge will have a Viburnum sargentii 'Onondaga' on the end, which typically grows taller than wide, and I would like a boxy shape for the hedge.

• miclino
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ask away prairie. sounds like you are interested in the same thing I am.

Can someone please post pics of full size plants, its annoying that the internet is full of close ups!

• miclino
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have fothergilla mt airy at one side of the bay window and hydrangea vanilla strawberry on the other side. What I need is an upright flowering shrub to plant in between. I want to atleast have a semi formal neat look. Would weigela fit this bill? Depth of hedge cannot be more than 3-4 feet.

• miclino
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here is the bay window underneath which I want to plant the hedge. I know it looks a little untidy right now but some of those perennials are coming out (been experimenting). As you can see I don't have much space and I want to leave as much room as possible for perennials in front of the hedge. On the right is a vanilla strawberry hydrangea behind the rhodo. To the left is a smaller Fothergilla (can't see clearly), the hedge will go in between and right under the window. Spot gets sun till 2pm.

{{gwi:269558}}

• miclino
    Original Author
    13 years ago

At the risk of sounding like I'm talking to myself in this thread........

I bought 3 Weigela Fine Wine today. Normally I don't buy from big box stores because of past experiences, but these were fairly large (over 2 feet tall) and only $10 each!n Like the upright appearance as opposed to the rounded look of Wine and roses. We'll see how they do in the ground.

• lablover
    13 years ago

Several of you have mentioned that Ninebark 'Coppertina' and 'Centerglow' are susceptible to powdery mildew. I have both and they have plenty of space for good air circulation, but I'm getting a lot of powdery mildew on them. I also have a couple of 'Diabolo' and 'Dart's Gold', plus a bunch of the native Ninebarks that came with the property. Only the first two have any powdery mildew. Any suggestions for prevention?

• bellafiore
    12 years ago

I have been researching this because I have one of 3 plants that has the mildew.
    Prevention...make sure to remove and destroy all debris at end of season...if possible, cut out the diseased branches. Otherwise, just cut out some of the inner growth to keep air circulation.
    Treatment...you can use commercial sprays, but a mixture of milk and water sprayed on the affected areas is said to be the best (haven't tried it, so can't vouch for it...but i'm going to do it this week).

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

My advice for treatment...cut them down to 4" stubs in early spring. Clean up foilage in late fall.

I battled these buggers for years and that was the only thing that worked.

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County