Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this scrub

Posted by peppergrae SE Virginia (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 16:57

I'm trying to identify this shrub. I had a row of three in my front yard. The front shrub has died and the yard looks horrible with only two, so I need to replace it. Your help is appreciated greatly!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this scrub

Weigelia, I am sure. But my spelling is often iffy.

o

That's exactly what someone on Facebook said also. Now I just have to find the exact color. I see several different colors of leaves and several different colors of blooms too.

Oh, and let's don't talk about spelling! I asked "What is this "scrub?" LOL :)

o

Weigela is one of the genus names most often misspelled, so you're not alone. I know that a lot of people mispronounce the name....leading to the misspelling.

'why JEE la ' is how to say it. I hear 'why JEE lee a' all the time.

o

To get identical shrubs to yours try taking some cuttings. Weigela roots really easily.

o

Thank you! That's a great idea and SURE wish I had asked this question sooner, but the house is going on the market the first of next month, so I probably don't have time, BUT I am going to go cut some and at least get started just in case I can't find what I need. If it had been the middle one that died, it wouldn't have mattered. A different colored one would look nice there. That's just not the case though.

o

I found one on ebay! I about to give up and just plant SOMETHING there cause I wasn't having any luck finding a match. Thank you all for your help!

o

Are you certain you have the same cultivar? There are an awful lot out there, as you discovered. As a general rule ebay is not a reliable source of plants. So often people do not get what they expected and there are some downright frauds e.g offering plants that don't even exist, like blue orchids. Weigela is such a common shrub I'm surprised you had any trouble finding sources.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here