Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linda1270

?? About Brandywine Viburnum

LindaMA
10 years ago

I recently removed a Rhododendron from in front of my house, it wasn't doing well at all, although two others I have in front are doing great. I am looking for a good shrub to plant in this spot and I am wondering if a Brandywine viburnum would do okay there. The reason I ask about this particular shrub is that I already have one, it's been sitting in a pot for a few weeks now, as I debate on where to plant it.

This spot gets afternoon sun, probably around 4-5 good hours worth, it's shady in the morning. The soil in my area is acidic and down around 6-7 inches, there is some clay. I wanted to put a shrub there that looked good in the winter, however, where I already have the Brandywine viburnum and really don't have any other place to put it, I would like to use it there, that's if it won't get too large.

Any thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated.

Comments (6)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

hey

did we landscape your front yard??? .. or am i confused.. how about an update on that.. if i am not..

otherwise..

dig hole.. insert stock plant.. enjoy.. or remove at a later time.. what???? its better off sitting in that pot until another spot pops up ????

whats all this over-retentive stuff all about... who is in charge of this garden anyway???

you know.. you are allowed to move it in spring.. if something better comes along .... so plant the darn thing... odds are.. it will do better than being tortured in that pot.. dont you think????

ken

• LindaMA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Now, I'm confused, what's this about landscaping my front yard? I'm just curious on whether or not a Viburnum "brandywine" would do well or should I say, look well, in the front of a house? If this particular viburnum grows messy, like other's I have in backyard, I really don't want it in the front......curb appeal and all.

You think it's being tortured in the pot, hmmm, guess I'll plant it then. Like you said, I can always remove it in the spring, right?

Thanks for the advice.....I think...

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

it must have been some other linda... in MA.. who asked about doing her front yard ... forgive me ....

anyway ...

not many potted things are happy in july/august ... plants like cool roots... and unless you are there 24/7 to temper such.. you can really set them back.. though iyou would have to try real hard to kill a V ....

just plant the thing.. get it out of the small pot.. and let mother earth temper the heat ...

you can always move it in sept/oct.. if your research dictates such ....

ken

• mulchmama
    10 years ago

Yes, a Viburnum would look wonderful in front of a house, any house, IMO. I have three Koreanspice and a Burkwood in front of mine. As long as it doesn't grow up and hide windows, it's fine. Make sure to give it ample room, too, because they should only be pruned occasionally if at all. If it's going to be a foundation shrub, place it well away from the building, as far as you can. You won't be sorry.

The exposure you describe, as well as the soil, also sound friendly to a Viburnum. I'm not familiar with Brandywine, but I have over 20 Viburnums, and they do need some babying with supplemental water as they become established. If it's very hot now, I would wait until Labor Day, and keep it as happy as possible now. Frankly, I wouldn't plant anything now unless I had a death wish for it.

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

This is a great selection that sets a copious amount of pink fruit that matures to blue. The effect was stunning on my plant. Fall color is a nice red as well.

Top 5 viburnum for zone 5 or lower for sure.

Edit: I had to look at your name twice thinking you where someone else too!

This post was edited by whaas on Sat, Jul 20, 13 at 13:55

• LindaMA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I get that mistaken identity a lot.....

Guess I will plant it in front then, it will be near the house, a foundation planting, but a good ways away from the house itself, there's actually enough room to walk between my foundation shrubs and the house. I too have a Korean Spice V. in the center of my front yard and I love it......looks so pretty in the spring, but right now it's looking a bit raged due to the extreme heat.

I have a few more Viburnums in my backyard, although my 10 month old German Shepherd puppy has been eating some of them, she's so damn destructive. She is totally ruining my Cranberry Red-wing V., not to mention that this shrub must be at 10 ft now with branches missing in the middle and I am at a lost of how to prune it so it looks better.

I have heard great things about the Brandywine and that is why I would like to plant it in front to keep my dogs from chewing and ripping the thing apart.

I believe the weather will be breaking with some relief in a couple of days and that is when I will plant it.