Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bazzett

Shrub selection, we like Holly, more information desired

Bazzett
9 years ago

This past winter was pretty brutal here in the northern lower peninsula of Michigan. So brutal that my Korean Boxwoods in front of my deck bit the dust after nine years of growing them from 4" pots to true full sized shrubs that came to the top of the deck. Trimmed for the first time last year, ah well.

My wife and I are now serious about replacing them, and were looking at the Blue Princess Holly. We really like how leaf green they are, something very different from the depressing pine needle green, which is typically the only green foliage in the area from October-April. However, I'm uncertain whether this Holly is suited to this climate. Some sites list the holly as a zone 5 plant, others as zone 4. I really don't want to do this again, so if it's suitable, that's great, and anyone have any ideas on where to get them at a reasonable price?

If however, they are unsuitable, I would appreciate some alternative, non-depressing pine tree options for zone 4 shrubs with year round foliage. All opinions welcome. Thank you for your time.

Comments (3)