Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
samnsarah

Spireas and afternoon shade

Tim
10 years ago

My next door neighbor has a Spirea on the east side of his house that receives morning sun and afternoon shade. It receives direct sunlight from sunrise until about noon (5-6 hours). It has been in these conditions for a few years, and he never waters it. It is thriving and blooms very well. Unfortunately, he has no idea what cultivar it is.
Will all spireas thrive with morning sun and afternoon shade? I'm considering planting a Froebelii Spirea in the same conditions that my neighbor has his growing in, except I will water mine. Do you think it would thrive as well? All opinions are welcome.

Comments (18)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

they root rather easily ...

ask him if you can pull down a couple branches... scar them.. little rooting hormone... and put a big rock on it...

and i bet by fall.. it will have rooted...

and you can have exact duplicates of his plant...

otherwise.. i seem to have them in anything but full sun.. and they do fine.. i dont know their names...

ken

• Tim
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ken & Hortster, thanks for the advice. I appreciate it. I didn't think about asking my neighbor for some cuttings to root. Great idea, Ken! And, Hort, I will definitely check out A.W. I have some lavender mums right in front of where this spirea will be, so I'm hoping that combination will look sharp together.

• Tim
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Do you guys, or anyone else, know anything about Snowmound Spirea? Does it get huge, or will it stay within 4 feet tall and wide?

• hortster
    10 years ago

My Snowmounds "naturalized" at 5' high and 5-6' wide. Having a different branching structure than say, Vanhoutte, they actually could work as a trimmed hedge so they could be planted in a tight spot and trimmed to fit. However, after hitting maturity mine started dying back cane by cane until I jerked them out. Might have been bot canker.

Having said that, they were nice shrubs with that dense bluish green foliage and dependable bloom. Even got some orangey fall color a couple of times. I was sorry to see them go.

As a side note they were not far from a row of Vanhouttes and the Vanhouttes did not suffer the same malady.

hortster

• Tim
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a photo of my neighbor's spirea. Can anyone ID it?

{{gwi:269799}}

• Tim
    Original Author
    10 years ago

By the way...the blooms, as you can tell, are all but spent. My neighbor doesn't dead-head them either. They were a light to medium pink color.

• hortster
    10 years ago

Goldflame? Goldmound? Magic Carpet? What color are the flowers when in bloom? That's the only way to tell. Looks too golden for Limemound.

hortster

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

I'd lean towards Magic Carpet or Goldflame. Do they have very intense burgundy spring foliage?

Magic Carpet is so common but its one of the best. Stays a bit more tidey and has very vibrant spring foliage.

I use to be a spirea nut, just because they where so easy to grow and adaptable to various soils, exposures and moisture.

Snowmound was by far the worst of them all. They are in my top 5 worst shrubs that can be grown in my area. They suffer from dieback and thin out.

Double Play Artist is probably my next favorite spirea. I thought I recall it being a superior variety over AW.

And my third is Tor Spirea.

All others are inferior in my opinion.

• Tim
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The foliage stays the same color as you see it now. The flowers are light to medium pink.

• mzdee
    10 years ago

Some kind of "Mound" I don't remember the name, but I have 2 of them. Bought them last year on clearance for about 3 bucks each in 1.5 gallon pots. They are hard little rascals. Overwintered and have been blooming for months now. They are planted in partial shade and one is in the vicinity of the dreaded maple tree. You can't lose with these shrubs. Check your Lowes in a few weeks. They should be clearancing out shrubs soon.

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

If the initial spring push is not reddish it would be something like Limemound

• Tim
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The foliage emerges golden when the plant breaks dormancy and remains gold until it goes dormant again. Like I said, the foliage you see in the photo is the foliage color the entire growing season and the flowers are light to medium pink in flat-top clusters all over the plant.

• splitrock
    10 years ago

Emerging and staying gold sounds like Gold Mound. I had one, but the color was too bright for me right next to my red Japanese maple. I tossed it over our cliff, and it is still living and even flowering a year later. Can't kill it. As Ken said, if you place a rock over a low branch and nick the bottom of that branch just below a leaf node, you will have a rooted branch next spring. If your neighbor doesn't prune much, some of the lower branches may have already sprouted roots.

• greenhavenrdgarden
    10 years ago

This looks and sounds exactly like my Goldmound.

• mulchmama
    10 years ago

Snowmound spirea is one of the older ones and is very susceptible to fireblight. I lost three of them two years ago to fireblight. I loved them, but I won't plant them again. Our extension agent told me to plant something else in the spot where we removed them.

• Tim
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just out of curiosity, I noticed that there are at least three different species of spirea, Spirea x bumalda, Spirea japonica, & Spirea nipponica (examples below). What is the difference between these three species, and is 'Snowmound' susceptible to fire blight because of its nipponica species? Is one more heat and drought tolerant than the others, and is one more tolerant of shade? IâÂÂm just curious.

Examples:
    Spirea x bumalda 'Froebelli'
    Spirea japonica 'Goldmound'
    Spirea nipponica 'Snowmound'

• mulchmama
    10 years ago

Good questsion, plantingman, but I have always assumed (I know, I know) that the Snowmound and Bridal Veil type of old fashioned spireas were more susceptible because they have been around for so long and newer cultivars were developed to resist fire blight.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio