Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jujujojo_gw

Are hibiscus and rose of sharon the same plant?

jujujojo_gw
10 years ago

How can you differentiate them? Thank you.

Comments (34)

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    10 years ago

Hibiscus is the botanical name of a genus. Rose of Sharon is a common name that is given to various Hibiscus and I believe other genera (Hypericum?)

So sometimes they are the same and sometimes they are not. That is the trouble with common names, which vary by region, culture and language. Botanical names are the same worldwide, until the taxonomists start rearranging them!

• subtropix
    10 years ago

As said above, Hibiscus is the larger genus of which there are many species. Two fairly common ones are Hibiscus syriacus ('Rose of Sharon'), and Hibiscus rosa sinensis ('Rose of China'). Rose of Sharon is deciduous and cold-hardy in much of the USA (zones 5-9). Sinensis is evergreen (or semi-deciduous) and is not frost hardy except in warmer tropical and subtropical areas. Both species have been cultivated for a variety of colors.

P.S., Both seem to be a favorite of the local deer population. So, I grow the tropical ones in containers on the top deck. (Makes sense as people too have long been making tea out of the flowers of rosa sinensis.)

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all so much for the great answers.

I saw a few large shrub (small tree) Hibiscus (street trees/shrubs) which are about 10 feet tall ... in Virginia. The flowers were smallish and tend to fall off the same day.

I recently saw some other hibiscus (also street tree/shrub): the tree habits are the same but the flowers are three times as large as the ones I saw in Virginia. The trees produce an abundance of flower buds and flowers.

Hmm ... I like these because they bloom in late summer and autumn. I like the bluish pink color as well.

Can both be called Rose of Sharon - Hibiscus syriacus? I am certain these are not the Hibiscus rosa sinensis.

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    10 years ago

The thing to remember is that different people call different plants 'Rose of Sharon'. Don't get hung up on that name as it does not apply to a specific plant. There are big regional differences as well - what they call something in Virginia may be different than what they call it in California, where apparently Hypericum (nothing to do with Hibiscus) is sometimes called Rose of Sharon.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

"Simply...all Rose of Sharon are Hibiscus but not all Hibiscus are Rose of Sharon."

As Formandfoliage illustrated, that statement is incorrect.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

It is true where she comes from, which also highlights the insignificance of a common name and importance of proper names.

J, if you put pics of flowers and leaves on NTP, one plant per post to avoid confusion, you will soon know what they are.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

Nah, limiting the statement to Alabama wouldn't make it any more true. People in Alabama aren't any more particular about common name exclusivity than anywhere else (and probably less so than some places). It is true that in the US, Rose of Sharon more commonly is used to refer to Hibiscus syriacus, but people in Alabama definitely use the name for other plants. Below is just one random example of many. The source is from Alabama and uses Rose of Sharon to refer to a Hypericum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Random example shown in last paragraph.

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

An image, they are blooming now:

• subtropix
    10 years ago

Hibiscus syriacus (a.k.a., 'Rose of Sharon' to me).

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

How about this one?

{{gwi:269834}}

{{gwi:269835}}

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

White ones:

{{gwi:269836}}

{{gwi:269837}}

This post was edited by jujujojo on Wed, Aug 7, 13 at 13:23

10 years ago

H. syriacus.

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

repeated item, deleted.

This post was edited by jujujojo on Wed, Aug 7, 13 at 11:57

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

repeated item, deleted.

This post was edited by jujujojo on Wed, Aug 7, 13 at 11:58

• cadillactaste
    10 years ago

The first photo reminds me of my Hibiscus Syriacus Rose of Sharon
    "Blue Satin".

Another beauty with larger flowers...also a Hibiscus...look up Rose Mallow.

• cadillactaste
    10 years ago

"Blue Satin" one of my favorites...and one that gets the most comments from visitors.

Edit to change the photo...the bloom in the shade looked far darker than it should. ;O)

This post was edited by cadillactaste on Thu, Aug 8, 13 at 14:41

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Older, less saturated blue forms are liable to be 'Oiseau Bleu' ('Blue Bird') which [Blue Satin] = 'Marina' is touted as a more vigorous, better colored replacement for. But I find the coloring of the new one leaves me cold, it being kind of flat.

• cadillactaste
    10 years ago

Bboy...that is what is great about the abundance of colors they come. They fit everyone's personal preference. :O) I personally love mine. And am always having ones ask me about it. A few even have had me write the name down.

• Karolina11
    10 years ago

The white one looks like H. syriacus 'White Chiffon'.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Anyone who has not seen the other blue forms (Bailey nursery has one also) will be remarking on the 'Marina' because that is all they have seen. The 'Osieau Bleu' is definitely a warmer, more agreeable tone than the 'Marina'. I have also not seen the lack of vigor in the older one that promoters of the new one are claiming mars it. In fact, the above photo is almost certainly showing 'Oiseau Bleu' and as we can all see the plant has plenty of long branches.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

Am I the only one on the planet that thinks this plant is butt ugly?? I don't care for any type of hibiscus but I find RoS most unattractive........doesn't leaf out until very late in the season, garish looking flowers and a coarse looking shrub overall.

Just call me a plant snob :-)) Good thing we all like different plants.......how boring it would be if we all thought the same!

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Posted by gardengal48 PNW zone 8 (My Page) on Thu, Aug 8, 13 at 16:29

The flowers of RoS are somewhat short-lived ... that is why they look somewhat cheap.

But I realize that they bloom in heat of late summer. That is why there is no need to keep the flowers for too long.

If you add a little fertilizer, the plant produces massive number of flowers.

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    10 years ago

I'm with gardengal - this plant never stirred a heartbeat in me...

Sara

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Many specimens here need to be fertilized. When the leaves are a good green (and there are many branches, closer together) the shrub takes on a different character. The single forms produce pretty dramatic and distinctive flowers; those of the unfortunately very common, older double cultivars often look like wads. I particularly dislike recent introductions that display a nearly single flower with a small area of additional petals cluttering the center.

This post was edited by bboy on Fri, Aug 9, 13 at 2:02

• cadillactaste
    10 years ago

ROS brings memories of an old tree that we sat under and drank iced tea with my grandma.

Lil'Kim holds its flower three days though. Small tiny bloom. Sadly mine has reverted back to genetics and this year it's bloom is quite larger than last year when I planted it.

My neighbor has a grafted tree form...which is quite beautiful in my opinion...yes late bloomer and makes my husband always think it is dead...but love the color it brings...and the good memories I have as a child.

Not currently happy with the shape mine is taking on. A few lower branches are lower than the rest. Not sure to leave it and see what next year brings...or prune them back.

On another note...my FIL text me a photo of his Rose Mallow Hibisicus bloom yesterday...I commented "nice Rose Mallow" and he replies,"Sorry it's a hibiscus" lol

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I recently see some, possibly ROS or a relative. The green parts are kind of small with huge and single-petaled flowers of deep maroon. I think they are kind of lovely.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Might be Hibiscus moscheutos.

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on Fri, Aug 9, 13 at 14:28

They do look like those but the plants are even shorter, and the flowers are deep maroon. I think they are very interesting.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Height and color varies.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures

• florauk
    10 years ago

".... all Rose of Sharon are Hibiscus but not all Hibiscus are Rose of Sharon ... "

I'm a bit late to the party but if you are looking at any UK sources R of S will always refer to Hypericum calycinum, not Hibiscus syriacus.

H syriacus is not massively widely planted here and so maybe doesn't have the connotations it does in the US. It seldom self sows in our climate and suffers no pests or diseases that I know of. Its late leafing out is not a problem since there is plenty of other greenery coming out early in the year. Personally, I find it a valuable addition to the garden given its late flowering. I have Red Heart, a simple, clearly coloured one. I don't really like the purpley/mauvey ones, nor the doubles.

Mine is just beginning to start flowering. The centre of Red Heart is almost the same colour as Clematis 'Sodertalje' which grows behind it and the white petals echo the Japanese anemones.

• cadillactaste
    10 years ago

Very pretty...resembles my Lil'Kim...that had tiny blooms last year...but reverted back to its genetics the nursery said...explaining the larger blooms it has now showing up.

10 years ago

"Nah, limiting the statement to Alabama wouldn't make it any more true." I wasn't. I'm from OH, where the convention is the same. Also assumed you'd seen Rhizo around enough to know she's lived in several 'east' states, but that's my bad, sorry. Regardless, the whole discussion is a perfect example of the uselessness of common names. Handy for when ID is already established, but discussing the 'proper' common name for anything is really just an exercise in curiosity, there is no right or wrong, as you well know. Many people name their plants Steve or Betty... or Audrey. Not sure why you insist on picking the gnat poo out of this pepper pile.

Flora, that's the prettiest one I've ever seen! Wow!

My aunt had some of these trees in central Indiana, with white petals, red centers, but it was nowhere near as pretty as that, with the 'streaking' detail. I dug up a few of the little ones (can't imagine doing that NOW - they were 4-6 ft. tall & filled the back of the minivan) and they survived and did well in my yard and Mom's yard in central OH, same latitude from which they came. The one was about 15 feet tall when I moved from that house.

What I thought was so cool about those particular ones was that it was so reliable about opening its' first flowers within a day or two of July 4th, we called it Independence tree. The British may not appreciate such, but we thought it was neat-o.

This pic is from 8/14/01, sorry it's not great. 1MP camera in those days.

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

These look similar:

{{gwi:269839}}

{{gwi:269841}}

{{gwi:269842}}

{{gwi:269844}}

{{gwi:269845}}

{{gwi:269846}}

{{gwi:269847}}