Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Summer Azalea

Posted by sam_md z7 MD (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 13, 12 at 18:12

I took this pic today of a native azalea. The hummingbirds can't get enough of it. I remember Jim Wilson from Calloway Gardens talking about it. He said it is native along the Chattohoochee River. This will come true from seed, it's not a hybrid.
The first time I saw it bloom was at the Biltmore Estate nr Asheville, the sun does not bleach out the flowers. No fragrance but who cares. Do you have it? Can you name it?
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Summer Azalea

I think it's Rhododendron prunifolium. Bloom color is right, red/orange, season is right, summer, native range is right, found only in S. Georgia and extreme SE Alabama.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 13, 12 at 23:55

I used to have one of these. As can be seen in the picture, the flowers tend to be a bit lost among the fully developed leaves.

o

I agree with the id - mine is flowering heavily now.

It is also being used to create late blooming hybrids with other species like R. viscosum and R. arborescens. R. prunifolium has no scent so hybridizing it with those two gives you a late blooming, scented flower with good colors.

o

"The rarest of our eastern native deciduous azaleas" according to rhododendron.org.
For azaleas, summer bloom is both a blessing and a curse. They don't bloom in the spring so the average customer won't buy them. They are relegated to collectors and connoisseurs.

o

I never saw no miracle of science
That didn't go from a blessing to a curse -- Sting

Well, the "average customer" or "average consumer" probably thinks Applebee's is a fine dining experience. What else can I say?

o

Plumleaf Azalea pix taken today. Its always great to look forward to these every Summer. Notice how far the stamens protude out past the petals. These plants are in a shady spot but do get a few hours of sun.
 photo 07-13-14002.jpg
 photo 07-13-14003.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here