Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What kind of shrub should I plant?

Posted by dem622 8a (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 1, 10 at 18:13

Hello,

I am trying to decide what shrub(s) to plant and I am a bit overwhelmed with the choices. I was hoping somebody would help me brainstorm a bit. The walkway to my front door is basically an L shaped concrete path. On the inside of the path I dug out a bed and planted flowers, but now I'm looking to do something different. The bed is two sections each about 30' x 2'. I can expand the width a bit depending on what is needed. My requirements are:

-Evergreen/Winter Interest
-Fairly short 2-3 feet tall (sort of a short hedge)
-Drought Tolerant (Zone 8)
-Easily obtained at garden center/plant show
-Not crazy expensive

I was thinking some sort of juniper, but there are so many varieties, I don't know where to start. Or would something else be better?

Thanks in advance

Dennis

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What kind of shrub should I plant?

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 5, 10 at 15:41

Climate region?

Light exposure?

o
RE: What kind of shrub should I plant?

• Posted by leafy02 6 Central Kentucky (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 16, 10 at 9:10

I have both helleri hollies and boxleaf euonymous in my front bed, and I think they'd meet your criteria. They are evergreen here in zone 6, you'd need to check about your zone.
They are very inexpensive and widely available at big box stores that sell shrubs.

My helleri hollies never need pruning to stay in a very neatly rounded shape, and the boxleafs do take pruning but it is not difficult.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here