Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jmo_0121

Need help identifying two shrubs

jmo_0121
11 years ago

I just bought these two shrubs, I thought they looked great for the price. The man mentioned the names but I forgot as I had never really heard the name. Thanks for the help, it is greatly appreciated. I just want to know how to properly take care of them.

{{gwi:270188}}

{{gwi:270189}}

Comments (20)

• denninmi
    11 years ago

I don't have a clue what the taller one with the magenta/burgundy leaves is.

The short one with the orange flowers is Ixora coccinea, a tropical blooming plant. It can only take minimal frost, so unless you're in Zone 10 or possibly Zone 9a, it is grown either as an annual, or taken indoors as a houseplant for the winter. It needs partial shade and rich, acidic soil to do its best. I tried them a couple of times and found they didn't do much here as a potted summer plant, just mostly sat and sulked, probably needs a consistent hot, humid climate with sticky warm nights, since it's native to the jungles of Sri Lanka and S. India.

• jmo_0121
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That's perfect, I live in Miami which is in zone 10. I was thinking that the taller one was dogwood but I'm sure I'm way off. Thanks for the comment!

• Iris GW
    11 years ago

Well it does have opposite leaves and a dogwood does too.

• MollyDog
    11 years ago

Could the one shrub be Prunus Cistena?

• Iris GW
    11 years ago

Prunus has alternate leaves.

• User
    11 years ago

Well, definitely Ixora on the smaller one with flowers--sold everywhere in and around Miami. As for the taller one haven't a clue. reminds me of Red Tip Photinia a bit (I don't believe is is). Can we assume it's a tropical?

• jmo_0121
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey guys! So I went back to the nursery and the guy told me that the flowery one was indeed an Ixora but that he didn't remember the name of the "reddish" one. I got the plant for 5 bucks, it added color to my small and humble balcony garden so I appreciated it. Maybe we can get more opinions, this is proving to be tricky. Thanks for you input guys, I really do appreciate it.

• Iris GW
    11 years ago

If you can take a close up picture of the leaf it might help.

• jmo_0121
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Okay guys, I took a couple more pictures. I would also love to know if it is maybe pruned correctly, I bought it like this but I would love to know what I can do to it for its health.

Here they go.

{{gwi:3005}}

{{gwi:44727}}

{{gwi:3007}}

{{gwi:44728}}

{{gwi:44730}}

{{gwi:44731}}

{{gwi:44729}}

• mpg2004
    11 years ago

It looks a lot like a purple leaf sandcherry to me (I thought that was another name for a cistina plum, so I don't know though...)

Looks very pretty!

Michelle

• MollyDog
    11 years ago

Photinia?

• User
    11 years ago

Definitely not Photinia. I thought so at first from the initial pics but the close up of the leaves are very different. I would post your pic on the tropicals and/or Florida forums as well.

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    11 years ago

Maybe post on the Florida or Southern or Tropicalesque forums? Never seen it here in 9b California!

• User
    11 years ago

Just occurred to me, looks like it could be an Iresine. Not sure of species.

• Embothrium
    11 years ago

It's a tropical, more on the order of something like a Pentas.

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    11 years ago

njoasis - it sure looks like the Iresine that I remember from my days working in my Mom's florist shop in NJ, where it was sold as a houseplant. JMO can you Google Iresine or ask a local?

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    11 years ago

njoasis - it sure looks like the Iresine that I remember from my days working in my Mom's florist shop in NJ, where it was sold as a houseplant. JMO can you Google Iresine or ask a local?

• Iris GW
    11 years ago

It has the right opposite leaves.

Here is a link that might be useful: Iresine herbstii - Bloodleaf

• jmo_0121
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I asked a couple people around and no one knew the name. I'm going to take that it is in fact an Iresine, it looks exactly like the pictures. I did some research and I read that I should "pinch the new growing tips to encourage bushiness". Can someone explain to me how this is done. I am new to gardening, I am a 20 year old aspiring veterinarian who loves biking and my dog. I want to definitely do what's best for all my plants.

Thanks guys, you have been of great help.

• Iris GW
    11 years ago

When you remove the tip of a growing plant (i.e., that is pinching), it responds often by sending out 2-3 new tips. That creates a bushier form.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinching