Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cotoneaster 'Tom Thumb' Pruning & Other Questions

Posted by leafy02 6 Central Kentucky (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 10, 10 at 19:14

Today I bought Tom Thumb cotoneasters from two different stores. The plants from one store are round and dense, and the plants from the other store are leggy and branch-y.

I'm wondering if the difference in shape is due to pruning, or if they really aren't the same variety? I'd prefer the bushier appearance if I can prune the leggy ones that way...any advice appreciated.

Also, the labels say they are evergreen, but I found an article online that said they were deciduous in zone 8. I am zone 6 and they are going to get either full sun or morning-to-1pm sun, depending where I use them. Anyone have experience with them in this zone & want to predict whether they'll drop leaves?

Thank you !

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cotoneaster 'Tom Thumb' Pruning & Other Questions

without a picture.. its hard to tell you if they are the same plant...

nor able to give you pruning advise ... on words alone ...

i seem to recall.. many moon ago .. that cotoneaster was evergreen in my z5 MI .... so i dont know why it wouldnt be for you ... but i claim no specific knowledge of the various kinds ...

and its hard to rebut unknown website info.. without a link ...

can you post some pix??

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here