Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Indian Hawthorn problem

Posted by heelsfan 8 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 7, 08 at 19:50

Something is destroying my Indian Hawthorns. For years they have looked great and this year was no exception.....until a few weeks ago. Something (caterpillars) have made hunderds of what look like cocoons on a few of the plants. Two others look fine. The "cocoons" are brown and white in color and are 1"-2" long. What are they and how do I get rid of them.

Cocoon

Infected plant

Cocoon

Bad & Good

Caterpillar?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Indian Hawthorn problem

Oh my gosh! You have a bad bagworm infestation. The create a protective 'bag' around them with the leaf material. Commonly seen on arborvitae. Pick off by hand or spray! They've been on there for a while.

o

Here's more info. Get them off, make sure the plant is watered. Give it time, to see if it recovers.

Here is a link that might be useful: treating bagworms

o

Just a note from experience, when you handpick them be sure to kill them. I had them on a shrub years ago and spent a good bit of time picking them off one by one into a bucket. I left the bucket on the porch overnight and the next day they had crawled out of the bucket and into my foundation shrubs! I still get the willies thinking about it.

o

They are all over three of the bushes. Is there an insecticide that will kill them?

o
bagworms

BT - Bacillus thuringiensis

Here is a link that might be useful: see attached

o

Bt won't help at this stage of the caterpillars' life cycle. It needs to be applied when they are very young and small.

Truly, I know you don't want to hear this, but handpicking is your best option at this time. It won't take all that long, and you can do a little bit every day.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here