Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help!! My shrubs look awful!

Posted by Mom2LoLo AZ (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 19:50

Are they Texas Sage? Are they not getting enough water?? How much/often do I water these??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help!! My shrubs look awful!

There are 2 rows & the back ones look fine on the top, but starting to look the same underneath. It's in the 110s here.

o
RE: Help!! My shrubs look awful!

They are texas sage with multiple problems ...

The ordinary mature Texas sage is a BIG bush about 6-8 feet tall and 10 feet in diameter, and very water thrifty.

1 - they have been pruned into that square hedge shape in an attempt to keep the size under control, removing most of the new growth with every pruning, which stresses the plants.

2 - they are crowded in that bed, which stresses the plants.

3 - they are next to a lawn, and the frequency of lawn watering forces them to grow too much, which stresses the plants.

the excessive water leads to the need to prune frequently ... see #1

4 - The frequent and shallow lawn watering keeps the sage shallow-rooted, which stresses the plants in hot weather because the roots aren't deep and cool.

===========
Soak them thoroughly, and slowly, about once a month. Stop pruning them. Early next spring - mid February - you can chainsaw them to a foot or so high, prune them to 5 or so branches and let them resprout.

let them regrow in a natural shape instead of trying to make a square box ... if it turns out that they are vigorous and crowding each other, remove some to give the others room to grow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here