Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
diablo ninebark

Posted by deb1larr (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 13, 09 at 19:56

I bought a diablo ninebark plant this year for the first time. It is planted in full sun. It seems that almost every day when I come home from work, the leaves are crumpled up and look as though they are dead. After I water it, the leaves look just fine. Does anyone know why it does this or what I may be doing wrong? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: diablo ninebark

When you water, do you water deeply? Enough to saturate the soil? It should be able to go about a week or so after that (depending on where you are and your soil). It is still getting established, so leaves may wilt during the day and rebound at night when the weather is hot.

tj

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 14, 09 at 0:49

It was said " It should be able to go about a week or so after that"

Perhaps not. It was just planted this year.

Woodies need at least two years of regular irrigation to establish a sturdy root system.

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 14, 09 at 15:30

Until it roots out it needs to be watered as often as if it was still in the pot. One of the reasons not to plant with an intact root-ball. Usually the field or potting mix root-ball will be a different texture than the soil on the final planting site. This affects how water moves into and out of the root-ball.

Is it mulched? Bare or thinly covered soil gets baked by the sun in summer. Mulched soil stays moist much longer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here