Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mainegard3

ENDed summer hydrengea

mainegard3
10 years ago

My endless summer has some blooms on the outside old stems but the new growth is yet to bud. Thoughts ?

Comments (10)

• mainegard3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Perhaps the new growth will bloom later.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

My 'Endless Summer' hasn't started yet this year (mine never blooms on old wood) but in past years it has begun around mid-July. This has been a kind of weird spring and early summer, however, so I am not sure if that has made it a bit later than usual. I think it sent up sprouts later than usual.

• mulchmama
    10 years ago

I think this is an overrated disappointment of a shrub. I have called it 'Endless Bummer' since my first experience with it, and our Extension agent has now adopted the name when he discusses it. It isn't a reliable rebloomer, IMO, and in many parts of the country, it's tough to get and maintain the best soil pH for bluish blooms.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

It is a heavy, heavy, HEAVY feeder. Once a nursery man told me that, I started fertilizing more and more and it responded with consistent blooms. Kinda counterintuitive, as overfeeding usually hinders blooms. I don't think you can overfeed this plant.

tj

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Not impressed here either, planning to toss it. But I am sure I have not given it enough fertilizer.

We're all talking about The Original = 'Bailmer', of course - there is no 'Endless Summer'. Endless Summer is instead a registered trademark for a series of hydrangeas from Bailey Nurseries, including the compact and floriferous lacecup hydrangea Twist 'n' Shout' = 'PII-HM1' - which can be a stunner.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

I think that this might not be a plant I would grow if I could grow many of the other Hydrangea macrophylla cultivars, but I have found it to be consistently floriferous, easy care, great long-blooming color, and it survives in my zone. That makes it a winner for me. I have read that some folks in warmer zones haven't found it to perform as well as it does in my borderline zone 4. I have been adding other remontant hydrangeas as I find them, but thus far none have proven as robust as my original 'Endless Summer', though 'Twist and Shout' is blooming in its second year in my garden.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Again note that those are not cultivar names, and that there is no 'Endless Summer' cultivar - the cultivar you are talking about is 'Bailmer'.

Here is a link that might be useful: Endless Summer Collection

This post was edited by bboy on Sun, Jul 14, 13 at 11:44

• Barbara Meli
    10 years ago

I purchased a number of "endless summer" quite a number of years ago and couldn't be happier. They have never been fed and have been heavily blooming for a month or more with no stopping in sight.

• greenhavenrdgarden
    10 years ago

I planted The Original last fall and despite having a treacherous winter the thing is blooming away happy as could be this year. So is my Twist and Shout and Blushing Bride.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Dirr says the lace-cap cultivar in the series is the most prolific of its type. He also says to plant it in the shade. I planted one in the sun this summer and there have been some problems. However, before that I had one growing in sun for some years. But it never really took off, and in recent years stock offered here has looked weak. When it was newer a local garden center had bigger specimens in tubs that were terrific tidy domes of evenly dispersed flower-heads, like rhododendrons.

Here is a link that might be useful: Endless Summer® Twist-N-Shout⢠'PIIHM-I' PP20,176

This post was edited by bboy on Fri, Aug 2, 13 at 19:10