Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rose of Sharon back from the dead

Posted by idloveamocha 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 15, 14 at 20:07

This Rose of Sharon had been big and beautiful until this past winter (pardon the sideways photo--formatting issues). In fact, I was pretty certain that it was dead, as by the end of June, it had no leafing or growth--our other ROS's had leafed out by the beginning of June.
I set out around the 4th of July to chop it down and start over.
Note my surprise when I kneeled to cut it and noticed growth!

I want to see if it can revive itself. However, I do think I want to prune back the top that is definitely dry and dead.
How far down should I prune? The uppermost growth I see is about 1 1/2 to 2' above ground, and only on 2 major stems. Plenty of growth at the bottom of the plant.

Suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rose of Sharon back from the dead

Give it time...my neighbor had two side by side...one leafed out when it was time...the other stood dead looking...little by little it started showing signs of foliage a couple of weeks back. Today it really has looked to recover...so hold out. It may surprise you.

o
RE: Rose of Sharon back from the dead

dead is dead... cut back to live wood ...

you can barely kill these things ... as you now understand ...

with a large root mass... you might be surprised how big it might be by fall ...

i would not fert it ...

considering its potential.. its awful close to the house ...

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here