Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dreaded Euonymous scale

Posted by kimcoco Zone 5, Wisconsin (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 12, 10 at 20:35

I didn't even know what this was until...was it Ken? ...someone mentioned it. I thought, oh how lucky, I've never had that problem.

Jinx.

My Sarcoxie is loaded. The only change from prior years is that my NFH planted a row of Lombardy Poplars on the opposite side of my fence. Not sure if this has any bearing on the matter.

I've read that you can use Bayer tree and shrub systemic disease control as a preventive, but it's not a cure?? I also sprayed them with another Bayer product that you attach to your hose.

There is no cure? Or is it dependent on the stage in which it is treated? I'm gathering I should have treated it in the spring, or that I should do that next spring...please comment.

Will winter kill them off?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dreaded Euonymous scale

hey .. dont blame me ....

in my world.... get rid of it.. or ignore it ....

it euonymous scale.. not poplar scale... not red brick scale ...

its endemic.,.. and in my mind.. not worth the cost of trying to be rid of it

seriously ... with all the options out there.. for that given space ... will your world really end if you get rid of this extremely problematic plant ... [and now you tell me great grandma brought this plant on the boat from Europe 100 years ago.. and you are so emotionally attached that you would rather die then get rid of it]

though i love chemicals dearly.. applied properly .... i would NOT waste the exposure or cost on this plant .. and i would eat the loss/cost of being done with it ...

[are you really willing to spend 20 bucks on bayer for a 10 dollar plant???]

ken

o

These shrubs are indeed scale magnets (at least in the SE) and I shovel pruned mine a few years ago because of it, but you can control the scale by cutting out heavily infested branches and spraying horticultural oil (be sure to read the directions) on the remaining branches. However, IMHO, even if you treat it successfully, this is likely to be a recurring problem.

o

To kill the scales, spray with a solution of 40 parts water, 1 part liquid dish soap and 8 parts rubbing alcohol.
Soak the scales thoroughly with this solution and the next day hose off the dead scales with high pressure from your hose....You may have to repeat this process in a day or two to make sure you got them all.....just be careful not to apply this spray on a hot sunny day.....

Ian

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here