Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is Yellow loosestrife invasive?

Posted by maggie_berry z6CT (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 2, 09 at 20:37

A friend, of a friend, gave me a few of her plants. She did not know the name of the the two shrubs she gave me. I did not think much of it until I tried to look them up. Now, I think they are yellow loosestrife. I am worried the shrubs might be invasive. According to what I could find in my books, only Purple loosestrife is invasive but Yellow is not invasive. As you can see from the picture below I am about to throw them away, then I thought about bringing the situation to this forum. Any information on these shrubs would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is Yellow loosestrife invasive?

Yellow loosestrife is a perennial, not a shrub. It is not invasive but it does spread. I just rip out what I don't want each spring. It's a wonderful perennial that blooms much longer than most perennials.

I am amazed to see a variegated yellow loosestrife, ie, one with green and white foliage rather than plain green. A lot of gardeners would be happy to have it.

o

There're several variegated forms of yellow loosestrife - 'Alexander' and 'Golden Alexander'. Neither are invasive and even spread far less aggressively than the straight green variety. And there is also a dark leafed form, Lysimachia ciliata 'Purpurea', and a purple flowered form, Lysimachia atropurpurea 'Beaujolais'. I've not found either of these to be very aggressive spreaders either.

It is important to note that purple loosestrife - an invasive, noxious weed in much of the country - is Lythrium salicaria, an entirely different plant from Lysimachia.

o

This entire discussion is an argument for using the Latin (Botanical) names.

o

I am so very thrilled. Thank You all for responding!
she is a keeper!
Maggie Berry

o

As Latin frightens so many people, I didn't use it--but should have. Yellow loosestrife is Lysimachia punctata.

Not all Lysimachias are so benign. A beautiful perennial that most people regret ever planting is gooseneck loosestrife, Lysimachia clethroides. It will take over your garden and is almost impossible to eradicate. Even one inch of root soon turns into a colony. It infests other perennials so you end up pulling them out too. But so pretty. I've never had these problems with yellow loosestrife, Lysimachia punctata.

o

People love nick names and they will use them no matter what. I have known people who have decided not to select a particular childs name because of the horrible nick names that could be used in the future. In this particular case, I admit,I thought the plant was a shrub! So if the person told me they had Lysimachia I would have still been worried that they really had Lythrium because it looks more and more like a yellow Lythrium the longer I looked at it. I divided the two plannts in half and have planted one each next to a garden bench under a tree, and the other two in moist partial shade. I am hoping it spreads out a bit. It is a real beauty against the dark green woods. Again Thank You all!

o

Different plants behave differently under different conditions :-) The species Lysimachia punctata (straight green - no variegation) spread rampantly in my garden but was relatively easy to remove where not wanted. Lysimachia clethroides has always been extremely well-behaved for me - in fact, it didn't spread as much as I would have liked, but it was in a dryish location in a fair amount of shade....not its ideal conditions. This is a perennial I would not be without! An established clump in bloom in stunning.

Both 'Alexander' and 'Golden Alexander' have proved to be very well-behaved clumpers in my garden.

o

Wonderful looking! Thanks for posting, I have the perfect spot to plant a few of these!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here