Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kparenteau_gw

Need help with foundation shrub layout (pics)

kparenteau
12 years ago

Hello

I have a clean slate front foundation area. I have bought some shrubs, but want to see if this is the best way to go. I want the foundation to be evergreens to hide the foundation.

I have a dwarf Alberta spruce and a sad Roseum Elegans Rhodie that has spent 3 years in the back yard shade hiding already planted. Hoping to rehab it, but if its to sad, then Ill yank and replace with something. I'm at my wits end as I just want this done, but nicely... Here is what I have so far.

Front of house faces East. Gets summer sun from 7am to 1-2pm.

{{gwi:270566}}

{{gwi:270568}}

{{gwi:270570}}

In the below photo I have the following. Starting from back left to right..

(b)dwarf Alberta spruce (planted)

(b)Sad Rhodie (planted)

(b)Mountain fire Andromeda

(m)Golden Eponymous

(m)bowling ball arborvitae

(m)Golden Eponymous

(f) 3 blue star juniper

(f)"beehive" holly

{{gwi:270572}}

I still have the receipts to the items not planted. So hoping to hear from all you fine folks soon b4 the wife has me plant what I have....

I'm not picky but need answers fast.

Comments (7)

• WendyB 5A/MA
    12 years ago

I like the mixture of different textures and foliage colors.

One thing I see is that the rear row looks to be too close to the foundation. The center of the plant should be 4' from the foundation. Its hard to see for sure. Plants grow much bigger than we think and you want to leave plenty of room or you will be moving them or pruning them forever. It looks like you nay have too many plants. A rhody in that much sun can get huge. Are all those plants for both sides?

I'm no design expert, but traditionally you want something shorter flanking the stairs. It is considered more welcoming. The alberta spruces will eventually look like two soldiers guarding the front door. (not as much as arborviteas do, but that's the image in my head). Tall plants are typically used on the corners to soften the line. Of course, these things are subjective... rules do not have to be followed.

I have two Yak rhodies 'Ken Janek' flanking my east-facing stairs that seem to have fit the bill well.

I know you want all shrubs, but some perennials can add interest too. I would leave room for some daisies or catmint or irises or hosta or.... Maybe some spots for tulips and daffodils will be needed too.

• kparenteau
    Original Author
    12 years ago

the rhodies and spruce are 20" from the foundation. Looks shorter in the pics. The plants that you see still in the pots are just for layout and can be used where ever. Kinda why I took pics and asking for advice. I can buy more and or spread them out to both sides of the stairs.
    1 of 4 houses in my neighborhood have dwarf alberta on either side of the stairs, so I would look outa whack I think if I move them to the corners of the house...
    Thoughts..

• WendyB 5A/MA
    12 years ago

20" is definitely not enough. Are you willing to move them forward? Is that 20" from the center of the plant or the rear of the plant? Either one is not enough, but I was just wondering.

Maybe someone else will chime in with some more opinions.

Spacing is key. Figure out the mature width of each of them, add a little more (they usually grow bigger than the books say), and then do the math. Put different textures next to each other if possible.

It would add cohesiveness if you had some blue star junipers on both sides of the stairs. Not necessarily, full across both sides, but a few significant chunks of it would help tie the two sides together.

• kparenteau
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Are there any shrubs I should eliminate and or substitute? 1 in 5 houses in my neighborhood have the common 1965 Yews

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

link to pix of the latin name of DASpruce ....

which ones are 20 inches??? mine are going on 5 feet tall and 4 feet wide ... in about 6 years ....

otherwise.. you seem to have about twice as many plants as you need for the given space.. been there.. done that.. lol ...

will your house need painting??.. when your plants start filling that space in a year or two.. will there be room for you and ladders and what not ...

i think.. you have 3 rows of plants.. i would probably go with only two rows... and space them out more ...

i would also get rid of that landscape fabric.. ASAP ..... most weed seed is windborne.. and as soon as you place it down... seeds are being dropped on top.. it will interfere with water movement in the soil.. and make placing any other plants near impossible in the future .... there have been many posts about the evil of burying man made landscape products in your garden.. and most involve peeps trying to avoid having to go thru all the work of removing it ....

otherwise.. knock yourself out.. have fun.. and just do whatever pleases you ....

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• kparenteau
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ok, landscape fabric is removed and will use that for non plant stuff.
    house is vinyl, but will be replacing that in the next 3 years.
    Not sure on the above comment on the DA spruce. Its about 24" from the center of the tree to the foundation. I only planted it a week ago so I can move it away and have more room on the foundation side.
    I agree I think I have too many plants. I will go with 2 rows and move that back row forward.
    Of the plants shown, are there any I should eliminate or dont do together?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

what about the blue star.. on the far side of the sidewalk ....

lets think outside the box for a moment.. why are you limiting yourself to those little spots ...

and why straight across the house ... its.. well... boring ...

second pix.. start on the far left side.. about 4 feet down the side we cant see.. and make a large 10 foot circle.. then dip back in toward where the rhodie is.. then back out toward the outside of the sidewalk ... at least 3 feet..

i could Photoshop it if you had a pic of the whole front .... instead of all the individual pix ...

does any of that make sense????

its not really the best planting time.... w/o supreme TLC ... get all those pots out of direct sun.. we dont want to cook the roots ... the north side of the house would be best.. keep them damp.. but not dripping wet ....

if you took a few weeks to define and build some great beds.. you will have enough space for all you have.. plus have the space to set them properly .... and then you will be more in line with a proper planting time in sept [depending where you are] .. when cool nights offset the warm days... that is root growing time ..

i am not reading where you are.. or what zone you are ... and.. what is your soil type .... unless i missed it on review ...

ken