Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blackwillow87

Crepe Myrtle Blooms

blackwillow87
11 years ago

I received a Crepe Myrtle from a friend. I looked at the blooms and some are dark pink with a little white on the edges and some are dark pink. Does anyone know why the blooms do this? Thanks

{{gwi:270673}}

{{gwi:270674}}

{{gwi:270675}}

{{gwi:270676}}

{{gwi:270677}}

Comments (19)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    11 years ago

Probably the most common cause of white specs appearing in the blooms of otherwise solid-colored red blooms of some crApe myrtles is lack of light (cloudy weather, semi-shady location, etc).

• blackwillow87
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Brandon. I have it planted on the west side of my house, so it gets shade during the morning and sun during the afternoon. Its been really hot and sunny here for the past 2 months.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

i have never 'done' CM's .. here in MI

are you bragging.. or complainin??

cuz they sure look fine to me ..

wish i had some option for a flowering tree in the high heat of summer ...

ken

ps: searching for knowledge is a very good reason ... also ...

• blackwillow87
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I really like the two different bloom colors. I was just afraid it meant some type of nutrient deficiency. The crepe myrtles around here have been really beautiful this year. Next year I may plant some more.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    11 years ago

Yep, I really like crApe myrtles. I have a small collection of them, including a few really red ones. Of course, as Ken can attest to, lilacs are cool too. I have a few, but don't have the climate to do as well with many of them as someone like Ken (clear throat) does.

• blackwillow87
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I haven't seen the really red varieties. I mainly see white, purple,lavender and pink. My mom has a friend that has the dwarf weeping variety.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    11 years ago

Carl Whitcomb's Dynamite, Red Rocket, Siren Red, and Tightwad Red as well as the National Arboretum's 'Arapaho' and 'Cheyenne' are probably the most commonly available red-blooming cultivars. Here's a more complete list:

Cultivar (TM Name)/ Height / Form / Mildew Resistance
    Arapaho / 20'+ / upright / high
    Centennial Spirit / 8'-12' / upright / good
    Cherokee / 8'-10' / globose / good
    Cheyenne / 8'-12' / rounded / high
    Christiana / 8'-10' / upright / fair
    Coral Sport / 8'-10' / upright / fair
    Gamad I (Cherry Dazzle) / 3'-5' / small dwarf / high
    Mandi / 6'-12' / dwarf / fair
    Moned (Chica Red) / 2'-5' / small dwarf / fair
    Moners (Petite Embers) / 5' / upright dwarf / fair
    Monimp (Petite Red Imp) / 4'-5' / upright dwarf / fair
    Okmulgee / 3'-6' / dwarf upright / fair
    Red Filli / 1.5'-2' / dwarf spreading / fair?
    Rubra Compacta / 6'-8' / compact / ?
    Tonto / 6'-12' / compact globose / high
    Victor / 3'-5' / upright dwarf / good
    Watermelon Red / 20'-25' / upright / fair
    Weeping Alamo Fire / 2'-3' / weeping, miniature / fair
    Wit II (Dynamite) / 20'-25' / upright / good
    Whit IV (Red Rocket) / 20'+ / upright / high
    Whit V (Tightwad Red) / 2'-4' / dwarf / high
    Whit VII (Siren Red) / 10'-12' / upright / high
    Whit IX (Double Feature) / 6'-8' / compact globose / high

• blackwillow87
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Brandon for that list. I'll look for some red varieties next year.

• eahamel
    11 years ago

Blackwillow, look at Dynamite. I just planted 2 of them and they are a really spectacular red, and the new leaves are red, too. I also have a Red Rocket that's a great red (both of those are the same lines of breeding for reds).

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    11 years ago

Concur on Dynamite - it is way redder than Centennial Spirit or Cherokee, for example, both of which I still find rather pink, and as eahamel notes, the foliage is great. It stays bronzy all summer, really one of the best cms for foliage, I think. I'll have to look for a Red Rocket or some of those other Whits.

• blackwillow87
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow I really like Dynamite. I'll have to look for that variety next year.

• User
    11 years ago

Used to be, we would be lucky to find two cultivars of Crapes at either big box stores or nurseries, now every year they seem to have more offered. Gotten to the point where I now have a growing collection of the cultivars. Dinimites seem to be one of te most commonly available. They all seem very forgiving and versatile. Current collection--

Dynamite--3
    Zuni--2
    Dwarf Hopi-1
    Catawba--2
    Tuscarora--1
    Pecos--1
    Centennial Spirit--1

Very addicting plant!

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    11 years ago

Yes they are addicting. I've killed three so far as I go back and forth between "giving it one more try" and "I can grow it in a contianer and take it in each winter". Last winter's lack of cold has me eyeing them again.... maybe I haven't hit on just the right spot yet.

• User
    11 years ago

They will do fine in containers! Just need to protect from hard frost in a pot.
    Your house is too warm for overwintering them.--maybe a garage, chilly cellar, the attic... Fact they are so easy in containers adds to he collecting bug. Okay, no more landscaping space so they can always do well in a container and fact that they are deciduous means that don't need light in their winter retreat. Still, I managed to plant 5 more today on a new western exposure fence neighbor recently installed. They transplant well and it is supposed to pour tomorrow. If you do plant again in the ground, make sure you don't make my first mistake with the very first one I got years ago. I bought a big, very robust cultivar and planted too house to the house. They were eventually very big, constantly needed pruning and were removed.

• blackwillow87
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have a friend that has a pale lavender crape myrtle, I'm going to ask her if I could dig up the runners. My sister bought one of the dwarf crape myrtles from Walmart. It was only a few inches tall and it was covered in blooms.

• User
    11 years ago

What runners?! Crapes, as far as I know don't produce these. Lilacs do. But they can be propagated.

• blackwillow87
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The ones at my friends house produce plants a few feet away from the main plant. That's how I got the crape myrtles in the pictures. After I dug up the runners, more sprouted in their place.

• User
    11 years ago

This is dynamite red. Localling, best months for color of these is August and September.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:270672}}

• blackwillow87
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for that link. I'm definitely going to look for one next year.