Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seeking advice on moving a pair of 8 year old Golden Globes.

Posted by Cal_00 5B (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 21:13

Hi, I know right now isn't the best time to transplant anything so I will be waiting till late October/November to move these. I have a pair of mature Golden Globe Arborvitaes (4' x 4') and I plan on moving them to a different location. I've moved other trees before when dormant but never a arborvitae so I'm seeking help. These have a huge sentimental value to them and I am trying to gather as much info on transplanting these for a higher transplant success percentage. My questions are:

Info on my Golden Globes--
* Planted these 8 years ago. They were in 1 gallon containers I believe.
* One is 4'x4', the other is 3.5' x 3.5'
* The soil they are planted on is clay.

1. How deep should I go?
2. How wide should I go?
3. When would be the best time to move these?
4. I plan on planting these on the west side of my house where they will only get sun from 1PM to Night. Will this be a problem? They are currently planted in my front yard where they get full sun, morning to night.

Any info is very much appreciated. Thanks

This post was edited by Cal_00 on Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 21:18

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seeking advice on moving a pair of 8 year old Golden Globes.

hey cal.. where in z5??? its vast ...

i am thinking mid sept or so... 6 to 8 weeks BEFORE ground freeze ... fall is root growing time... and in my z5 ... ground freeze is between thxgvg and xmas ...

the key is warm days... warm soil.. but cooler nights ... the soil will stay moist ... and it wont be 100 degrees during the day ...

more later

ken

o

Thanks Ken. I'm located in north west Indiana. Would you happen to know how big of a root ball I need? I was thinking about 1.5' radius and about 1.5' down. So is a 3' x 1.5' root ball sufficient enough for a mature golden globe?

o

i am thinking.. you start digging about 3 feet radius out ... from the trunk ...

so that you are left with about 2 feet wide ...and two down ...

at a min ...

you say 1.5 radius ... so i guess you are talking a 3 foot wide ball at the top ... which sounds about right... do you have any idea.. how much clay weighs???? .. you must be younger than i am.. and i aint old... lol ...

never start digging.. where you want the ball to end up ...

i would also suggest.. you dig 90% of the new hole first .... so it doesnt sit out of the ground.. while you have a heart attack from draggin it across the yard... lol... but dont go too deep ... you can easily adjust down.. but you dont want to have to hoik that monster out of a second hole ....

i would never work this hard.. sentimental or not ....

ken

o

I agree with Ken that mid to late September would be better than later so that the plant has good root growth before cold weather to support the foliage over the winter. After moving, mulch well and keep watered until the ground freezes so that it goes into winter well hydrated.

o

it must just be me, but i think of arbovitae as the workhorses of the conifer world. Tough buggers. If i couldn't get to them earlier, I wouldn't hesitate to move them in Oct or Nov. myself., here in Z.5 New Eng., but i don't know your winters either. I don't believe they will do much root growing before spring anyway.

I would strongly suggest (uh oh, PUNishment) that you find some high school body builders or major sports guys- to help you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here