Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wine & Roses Weigilia Insects

Posted by GaryV8Isaacson 55082 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 21, 13 at 21:26

I have 4 Wine and Roses Weigilia in a border Planting. The plantings are in Cypress mulch, and was refreshed with about another inch. 3 of the plants are invested with what appear to me to be baby boxelder bugs. There are literally hundreds of them. When I refreshed the mulch I was very careful to keep the mulch away from the base of the plants. I should also note that every fall we have hudreds of mature boxeider bugs on the southern exposure brick wall of our home. Spraying these with a mixture of dishwasher soap and water kills them instantly. These little buggers are tough, run for cover. Back within minutes. That is why the question of what they might be. Bright red oblong bodies, with black tinges. About 1/4 inch long. There are 3 Carnival Weigilia, with in 3 feet, now probably 3 years old and not a bug. One of the wine and roses planted at the same time as the other 3 and part of that "lazy" diamone has also not been infected, at least not yet?.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wine & Roses Weigilia Insects

all those words... and yet.. not a single one.. about any damage to your shrubs ...

and unless there is damage... i dont understand why you would be concerned ...

you gotta get over you hatred of these bugs... lol ..

since i never have associated them with damage to anything .... i am rather entertained by them .... and if they are doing something to the box elder .. i wish them luck.. i hate that maple-like tree ... lol

ken

o

Yeah, I was waiting to read about the damage too...and once again we see any insect hanging around a plant as a suspicious character.

Stop profiling the insects. Most are not harmful. If you see no damage, forget about it and go enjoy your garden. Kill a boxelder bug that's crawling on your TV screen. Outdoors, leave them be. It's their turf.

o

now.. the real kicker..

minutes after typing that i am entertained by BE bugs.. i call the neighbor.. and she is at wits end over them.. lol ... crawling all over the house.. inside.. outside.. etc .... calling lawn service for spraying.. etc..

then i realized... my BE bugs are 150 feet from the house..near the tree.. all over my barn..

and that is why mine are entertaining.. and hers are mind bending..

so.. moral of the story.. location.. location.. location...

ken

o

Gary, there are several insects with that characteristic red and black coloring, especially when they are still nymphs. A couple of crisp, close images will allow for an accurate ID.

This post was edited by rhizo_1 on Thu, Jul 25, 13 at 6:57

o

Can someone please help? Last fall we had the landscape guy pull four ugly cedars out of our front landscape. He suggested that we replace them with Weigilia which are easier to control plus there will be a flash of color across in front of the porch. The problem is that I really don't care for the pink with reddish leaves. I have seen pictures of Weigilia that tend toward lavender with green and cream leaves. Now it's time to plant and I can't find the ones I want. I did find one named Monet that was perfect but it was a dwarf and I need regular sized plants. I'm running out of time. I would really appreciate any suggestions and help that I can get. Thank you. I live in the Buffalo,NY area.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here