Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wendyb_gw4

Does this look like verticillum wilt on viburnum?

WendyB 5A/MA
12 years ago

boo-hoo... I've had Viburnum 'Dawn' for 6 years. This spring was the first year that it got enough blooms to actually scent the yard. And now this...arrrgghhhh... I took out about 80% of it. I hope it recovers. Is there anything I can do to help it? From what I've read, it doesn't sound like it.

{{gwi:270812}}

Even some new growth is wilting right away.

{{gwi:270813}}

This view shows a bit of hope:

{{gwi:270814}}

Apparently, it started earlier and I missed it. Some damage that's older:

{{gwi:270815}}

Despite the old branches gone, I think this massive wilt came on suddenly. I think I would have noticed it earlier. We have had a decent amount of rain this spring, but nothing excessive. Although we did have an unusual stretch of cool, cloudy and damp weather a week ago for 5 or so days.

Comments (6)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

after 6 inches of rain.. and 10 to 20 degrees below normal in may... we are in week 5 of severe drought... first the lawn browned out.. then the shrubs started sagging ... [why is your lawn browning.. dog or moisture???]

ALL my shrubs look just like yours ...

take a hand trowel.. and gently dig around.. and see how much moisture is in the soil ... and and perhaps give it a good drench if the soil is dry ...

i would rule out other things .. before i would jump to disease ... but if that is not the issue.. then i will defer .... since i have never had VW on viburnam ... i will leave that to the peeps in the know ...

ken

• WendyB 5A/MA
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good eyes Ken...most brown spots are doggie spots! The others are general neglect - LOL. No drought here. Everything is doing well. I have not had to water hardly at all. A 6-year old viburnum should be well established and able to handle normal conditions or even below-normal.

Interestingly, about 15-20 feet away last year I had a Viburnum 'Odondaga' that was partially wilting. Last year we did have a serious drought and extra watering barely helped, but I chalked that up to conditions. Now I suspect the two Viburnums are suffering from the same problem -- whatever it may be.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

my damage is on 10 year old lilac and mock orange.. some of the hardiest drought resistant plants there are..

did you dig a hole.. just out of curiosity???

if last years drought did the same thing.. why are you not wondering now????

disease tends to hit already stressed plants... so i want to find out what it is stressed over ...

ken

• WendyB 5A/MA
    Original Author
    12 years ago

if last years drought did the same thing.. why are you not wondering now????

cause there is no drought now. far from it.

As I said, all other plants look great. Came on suddenty RIGHT after big rain and stretch of cool, damp weather -- which fungus diseases thrive on.

As a matter of fact, I happened to have taken a video of my backyard the day before I noticed this. I tried to see if I could see the damage on it in that video and its not visible (although its not a real clear shot). Look between the Rose of Sharon and the Physocarpus 'Summer Wine'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfafwZ96XyU

• runktrun
    12 years ago

Wendy,
    I recall about a year ago you posted a thread about a critter den with an opening about the size of a baseball in a relatively open area of your shrub border. Did you ever determine what the critter was and whether or not it has moved on to greener pastures? I ask because this winter I had an identical critter hole with severe damage to two beautiful viburnums and a dwarf willow in a straight line from the den.

• WendyB 5A/MA
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Katie, good memory. A critter den could certainly be responsible for a partial-loss like this. But no holes visible on this right side perimeter. Last year's hole was on the left side. Sorry for your losses.
    Wendy