Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jm30_gw

Shade garden lost it's shade

jm30
11 years ago

I've got 1/2 of a shade garden that has lost it's shade. Last winter the electric company came through doing their periodic tree trimming, and chopped off about 1/3 of the canopy of 2 large red maples that provided all day shade for a garden that's about 40ft by 20ft. One half of the garden still gets all day shade, the other half now gets sun from 1:00 to about 4:30. Only 3 /12 hours, but the hottest sun of the day. Needless to say, I've got 4 large hyrdrangeas, ferns, about 10 astilbes, various hostas, and a large patch of wild ginger that are all frying. I'm already making plans on moving what survives early this fall. But I'm looking for ideas on replacements. That doesn't seem like enough sun for many flowering plants, but since it's afternoon sun it's definitely too much for part shade plants. I've got enough high maintenance plants to care for, so for this area I'm looking for low maintainence shrubs and groundcovers that will grow properly with that little amount of hot sun. The area can also be very wet during the spring and early summer.

Comment (1)