Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question regarding 'Dwarf English Boxwood'

Posted by ashug987 WA, Zone 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 22, 07 at 21:41

I recently bought the "Dwarf English Boxwood" from lowes. I want to put it along both side of my drive way which is about 80 feet long, I bought about 100 of these 2 gallon plants to cover the whole length.
I actually looked at the "Wintergem boxwood" as well, and I was told that in the WA weather its not a much advantage to get the wintergem (which is known for retaining its color during the winter), however we do get winters and seem temperature going to 15-20 degree Fahrenheit

Now when I am looking at the instructions, its saying that I should space it apart by 6’ and on maturity it will attain 7’ in height. Whereas I remember the wintergem was listed as 2’ spacing and 2’ maturity height.

I do want to get only upto 2’ – 3’ height and not interested in the longer shrubs and I do want the thick shrub sooner than waiting for years.

So I am wondering if the expert here can educate me more about the "Dwarf English Boxwood" (Buxus semepervirens "Suffruticosa"). How much should be the ideal spacing (Do I really need to space them 6’ apart as recommended) ? Can I just trim it to keep the height controlled at about 3’?

Or should I go back to the wintergem boxwood?

Thanks in advance
--Ashug

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question regarding 'Dwarf English Boxwood'

The plant you have purchased should make a fine small hedge--do a Google search on what you have to learn about it. How close to plant it depends on how long you are planning on living....you could actually plant fifty on either side of your eighty feet. The true "suffruticosa" (whether or not this is actually what Lowe's sells under this name, I don't know and may be more to the point) takes a hundred years to get anywhere, so don't worry.

o

I agree with shadygrove, while 'true' suffruticosa potentialy could be a large shrub (say 5x5 or taller) it's not going to happen in your life time and your kids either.
Count on 2-3" growth per year and clipping when needed. 45-50 plants per 80' will give you a good hedge appearance right from the start.
One suggestion though, if you are looking for the formal hedge, you may want to put aside a few plants (5-6) and plant them somewhere else, but in a similar lighting conditions.
If something happen with one-two-three members of your hedge you might have a problem to find an immediate substitute for them. By growing your own substitutes you making sure you always have an uninterrupted hedge.

o

Great!!! Thanks shadygrove and ego45 for gret inputs. This was really informative.

Wondering if I made the right decision choosing the boxwood over the wintergem as suggested by the lowes representative?

o

http://www.englishboxwoods.com/eva.htm

o

I live in San Antonio, Tx - have admired small (2' x 3') round, compact green shrubs that look like gumdrops on the ground i.e., no branches are showing at ground level. Is this the habit of the Dwarf English Boxwood or does the plant have to be pruned to achieve the "gumdrop" shape. Thanks in advance

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here