Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dogwood pruning

Posted by mwalt2 MI (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 22:01

I have some dogwoods planted by the original owner of the house and would like to get some advice on the best way to go about pruning/trimming them. They are probably 7 feet tall and all I have done is cut a little off of the top in the past, though this does not seem to be the correct way to go about it from what I have read so far.

I want to make sure that I am pruning them at the right time and the correct way. Thanks for any help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Picture

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dogwood pruning

Wow!! Those are gorgeous!! I'm a big fan of shrub dogwoods :-))

Those look to be the variegated red twig dogwood. Generally, rather radical pruning is done on these to encourage new stem growth, which has the most intense bark color.

There's a couple ways of going about this. You can prune back the entire shrub to a height of about 24-30" in late winter. You could leave it a bit higher if you feel that's too severe. Or you can take a third of the stems back to the ground (or as close as you can manage) at the same time of year. You can also trim back the top some if the overall height exceeds what you prefer.

o
RE: Dogwood pruning

Thank you for the message. I was thinking it was a red twig dogwood, but the pictures I've seen of the dogwood that had been taken care of looked pretty different (actually red :-) ). I think I will try to cut them back in late winter and see how it goes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here